Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2004, 01:36 PM

Default PP Speed Tournaments/Questionable Play

Anyone in this forum play the PP Speed Tournaments? I just played my first one this morning and I have to say it was alot of fun. I placed 35 out of 490. Alot of luck involved. Pretty amazing how quickly a huge stack can get knocked down when the blinds increase so fast.

Any ideas on specific changes to typical MTT strategy when playing these speed tournies?

I had one hand where I seriously questioned my play. Blinds were 4,000/8,000 if I remember correctly. I was the button with 2nd largest stack, 8900 chips and had A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG has largest stack (11,300 chips) and has been pushing everyone around, he goes all-in. Everyone folds around to me. I fold. I would have gladly called if the call wouldn't have required me to go all-in. I feel that my fold was sort of weak compared to my typical play. Was this the correct play? Should I have called?

The result was: Big Blind calls, flop comes rags, UTG shows J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and wins the pot with high card King.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:43 PM

Default Re: PP Speed Tournaments/Questionable Play

Just to check, only you and the big stack have enough to post the big blind? Crazy.

I think this is a super easy call. You said yourself that the big stack has been pushing people around. AKs is a dream hand here. Sure if you lose you are out, but these faster format tourneys require you to gamble more. You can't pass up an opportunity like this, as you will be all in within 8 hands, right?.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to check, only you and the big stack have enough to post the big blind? Crazy.

I think this is a super easy call. You said yourself that the big stack has been pushing people around. AKs is a dream hand here. Sure if you lose you are out, but these faster format tourneys require you to gamble more. You can't pass up an opportunity like this, as you will be all in within 8 hands, right?.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. For some stupid reason I was being super-cautious. I was thinking of the Gap Concept in TPFAP. I would have gone all-in with this hand, but I did not call an all-in bet. I shouldn't have folded. That mistake cost me dearly.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:00 PM

Throw most rules out in these, it is just play aggressive and get all-in with even a slight advantage, these things are utter crap shoots.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:19 PM

I took 17th the other day in a 894 person one, going out in a 4 way all in when I was 8th in chips at the time and forced all in on the bb. Ha The only strategy on these things is to triple up early on legit hands and then start rolling the dice.