Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: some observations about the split

in the time it took you to write this post you couldve taken a shot at 10/20 or 15/30, run hot, and moved up permanently.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:48 PM

But Joker, part of my original point was that, even if 5/10 plays more like 3/6 than 10/20 - which is at least debatable - the people here who post about 5/10 seem to have more in common with the people who post about 10/20, than those who post about 3/6; and those similarities are more important when it comes to conducting good discussions.

Besides, once reads or stars are provided, it often makes no difference what limit the games are at, for purposes of analysis.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:55 PM

I am a 5/10 player, and I love the split. I am trying to move up to 10/20, and this forum is great for me. I don't usually post many hands, but I try to respond to as many hands of other people as I can. By being able to read the hands here, I see what may be "standard", and how to improve upon that standard. I still reply to SHUSH though, just to make sure that my replies are consistant with the majority.

If you are concerned about not being able to post hands here, I would not worry about it all that much. You can still get good replies at SHUSH, although maybe not as good. If you feel you are pretty good at 5/10, and have a good bankroll, I would suggest the following (which is what I have been doing).

Take a shot at the 10/20, but only do it 1-tabling, and table/seat select to the max. You can almost always find a game that will be better than your regular 5/10 game. You will have a better edge, and you can focus better, since you will be one tabling. Make a video of this single table, and post it here. Way better than posting hand histories in my opinion, and you get to take shots at a higher level.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the people here who post about 5/10 seem to have more in common with the people who post about 10/20, than those who post about 3/6;

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean in terms of experience and/or quality of analysis, right? if this were the case, than those 5/10 players would be playing 10/20...no?
Old 11-28-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are concerned about not being able to post hands here

I would suggest the following (which is what I have been doing).

Take a shot at the 10/20

Make a video of this single table, and post it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what I need: another reason to play above my head.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the people here who post about 5/10 seem to have more in common with the people who post about 10/20, than those who post about 3/6;

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean in terms of experience and/or quality of analysis, right? if this were the case, than those 5/10 players would be playing 10/20...no?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think that necessarily follows, even though it sounds right. Just based on my own observations, it seems to me that there are many 5/10 players who have more than a rudimentary understanding of the six-max game, even though they may not have played long enough to build up their br to 10/20 levels.

And some of us are much better posters than players. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are concerned about not being able to post hands here

I would suggest the following (which is what I have been doing).

Take a shot at the 10/20

Make a video of this single table, and post it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what I need: another reason to play above my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't suggest this for everyone. I suggest this if you have the bankroll, think you perhaps may be good enough, and want to take relaxed "safe" shots. Otherwise, you should be fine with the advice given in SHUSH, and you should be reading and posting in MUSH regularly.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think that necessarily follows, even though it sounds right. Just based on my own observations, it seems to me that there are many 5/10 players who have more than a rudimentary understanding of the six-max game, even though they may not have played long enough to build up their br to 10/20 levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing is I think you just proved the opposite point than you wanted to.

the fact is if you start playing 5/10 with a 500bb roll and beat it at a 2bb/100 clip, it only takes 25k hands to build up a 500bb roll for 10/20. There are many many players with well over 25k hands at 5/10, this fact I think points to the difficulty in moving to 10/20, which points to the large differences in games.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:50 PM

Nice. I was about to post the same. If you beat 5/10 for 2BB/100 while 4-tabling you could make a 5/10 BR into a 10/20 BR in 2-3 weeks easily (with decent luck).

So anybody who beats the 5/10 soundly shouldnt have the BR problem (again, if they are not too unlucky).
Old 11-28-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the thing is I think you just proved the opposite point than you wanted to.

the fact is if you start playing 5/10 with a 500bb roll and beat it at a 2bb/100 clip, it only takes 25k hands to build up a 500bb roll for 10/20. There are many many players with well over 25k hands at 5/10, this fact I think points to the difficulty in moving to 10/20, which points to the large differences in games.

[/ QUOTE ]
25k hands is 2-3 months for me, IF I decide to leave everything in the br. There are plenty of good posters who simply don't have the time to play many hands a month.

Anyways, I don't think the split is a big enough deal to worry about things like realigning it. I expect the cream to rise to the top of both forums, as it typically does. It may just take a little more wading in SHUSH.