Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 07:03 PM

Default A2o hand in SB

regular Bay 101 20/40

5 limpers, 2 very bad, i complete in SB with A2o.

flop is A93r, checked to button(unknown 40 yr old white dude) who bets, I check raise, all fold, he calls.

turn pairs the nine, I bet and fold to a raise
Old 09-02-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: A2o hand in SB

Here are a few questions that occur to me:

1. Why are you check-raising the flop? You can't possibly hope to make an ace fold, and the board is about as draw-free as one can imagine. I think calling on a kind of slowplay here is better, as you are happy to let people call with pocket pairs, king-high, etc. The only time raising is good is if someone has a 9 AND no one has a better ace. Play it a little slower and let those terrible limpers make big mistakes.

When you fold the turn, did you notice that you have a ton of outs to chop against a better ace? He probably doesn't hold AK-AQ since he didn't raise preflop.

What is the point of betting the turn? Is there some draw you are trying to price out? You wouldn't want a pocket pair to fold if your check will cause him to call the river unimproved. He called the flop check-raise... how can you be ahead at this point? Do you think he has a 3? You say he is an unknown, but it should be immediately obvious by the way he handles himself whether he has a clue or not.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 09-03-2005, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Why are you check-raising the flop? You can't possibly hope to make an ace fold, and the board is about as draw-free as one can imagine. I think calling on a kind of slowplay here is better, as you are happy to let people call with pocket pairs, king-high, etc. The only time raising is good is if someone has a 9 AND no one has a better ace. Play it a little slower and let those terrible limpers make big mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd raise because:
1) There are a lot of players at Bay 101 who auto-bet on the button (some with any pair, some with any two cards) when checked to (even with that many limpers), so Hero is likely ahead and..
2) I wouldn't want people to call profitably with middle/bottom pair.

To the OP: On the turn (and river), I think an argument could be made for check-calling, because it's sort of a WAWB situation. I would probably bet/fold though, not for any specific reason.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:59 AM

My thoughts:

I think a fold is in order. Best case scenario is raising with a hand range (A9-109 and A10-A3) wich would mean you have a little more than 6 outs giving you approx. 8.3:1 to call when its 8.5:1 to you. If you start discarding hands like A3, A4 or A5 he'd raise you with on the turn, your odds cut down pretty much to a size where it would be unprofitable to call. Pretty read-dependent decision as it seems where you have to decide how likely this opponent is raising you with a weak ace (more or less covered by a nine), to go for a check-check on showdown but tries to increase his chance of making you fold a better ace.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:53 PM

First -- why are you in the pot with A2 to start with----
Second-- when the flop misses you why are you betting this flop with A2 --------
Get this play out of your game and watch your wages go up
Old 09-03-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when the flop misses you why are you betting this flop with A2 --------

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't consider flopping top pair on a drawless board that then gets checked to the button as a miss. If you do, I'd say reading the Ed Miller "You Fold Too Much" post might help.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:13 PM

is this an autocomplete for everyone here?
Old 09-03-2005, 02:18 PM

No, I fold preflop.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:53 PM

It is for me.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. even the fairly tight blind completion and defense standards of HPFAP state "any ace" in 1/2 structure.

Barron