Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Bruschi\'s stroke

What are the chances that Teddy Bruschi's stroke was caused by illegal drug use? He's only 32 and in great shape, so it would seem that the only way he could have a stroke is if he was putting some nasty substance into his body.

I'm asking because I'm 33 and none of my friends have had strokes or heart problems and some of them ain't exactly in the best of shape. Does anyone out there have non-drug-using friends under age 35 who were in decent shape and had a stroke?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Bruschi\'s stroke

[ QUOTE ]
What are the chances that Teddy Bruschi's stroke was caused by illegal drug use? He's only 32 and in great shape, so it would seem that the only way he could have a stroke is if he was putting some nasty substance into his body.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if you posted Bruschi's medical records, we could give you an informed opinion.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:51 PM

the Avg. lifespan of an NFL player is 52 years. These people destroy their bodies for our viewing pleasure. (I love football). That Bruschi could have a stroke (is news to me) isn't surprising. Whether or not drugs are involved.... who knows.

CSC
Old 06-13-2005, 11:54 PM

I had a healthy friend have a stroke in high school, at the age of 17, it's very possible, strokes are blood clots, can happen to anyone.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone out there have non-drug-using friends under age 35 who were in decent shape and had a stroke?

[/ QUOTE ]
Does a (probably) non-drug using patient count?
Diabetics can get early strokes, as can folks with familial high cholesterol. Sickle cell anemia can lead to early strokes. Pregnancy also carries a small stroke risk. There are many different clotting disorders which can also lead to stroke. Mitral valve prolapse has a questionable relationship with early strokes (the evidence was poor the last time I looked). You are right to consider drugs (you were probably thinking anabolic steroids, but also cocaine and methamphetamines) as a potential cause of strokes in young healthy people. Chiropractic neck manipulation is another potential cause for the healthy young.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:43 AM

Poor Bruschi he's so nasty - the pats will still take it home this year without him.

If the Pats don't win the superbowl this year, I can tell you the champ will be from the NFC.

Blackjack
Old 06-14-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the Avg. lifespan of an NFL player is 52 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a source for this stat? It sounds kinda right. I just want to be able to reference it.

[ QUOTE ]
These people destroy their bodies for our viewing pleasure. (I love football). That Bruschi could have a stroke (is news to me) isn't surprising. Whether or not drugs are involved.... who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

These guys are modern-day gladiators. And, they do pay the price.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:34 AM

I think this was in a very recent issue of SI. They had a long article on the various physical problems faced by NFL players.

EDIT: Or else it was ESPN magazine, I was reading it at work. In fact, I think it was ESPN, maybe the one with Tek on the cover.

NT
Old 06-14-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
strokes can be blood clots

[/ QUOTE ]