Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: 20-40 AJs monster draw.

I just realized who you are talking about. He's not folding any K or T, ever (OK mayby a T if the flush gets there), and he's paying off your bets and raises if he has a K and you hit the nuts or the A. He also isn't super aggressive without big hands and, as you say, not very tricky, so he probably isn't trying to set you up for a turn raise (although it is possible, just very unlikely imo). That being said I probably bet out any turn because (1) the money is going in the pot anyway, (2) it will put some doubt in their mind if the flush comes so (a) you will definately get paid off if you hit that draw and (b) you might get really lucky and one of the other two might hit a flush as well allowing you to get multiple bets in on an expensive street.

If there is any significant chance that your opponent is laying in wait to pop the turn, I agree with the other posters that advocate check-calling the turn. I just don't think you have much reason to fear this guy.

I wanted to change the post to say that I would bet out any turn other than a K or J. Le-Le-Le man doesn't wear panties.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:56 PM

I'd have called preflop and checkcalled the flop. On the turn I would have checkcalled unless I had the nuts in which case I'd either check or bet out depending on what I thought they were going to do.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:27 PM

Haven't read any of the other posts yet, but I am wondering why the call pre-flop? Assuming you play well enough to get away from the hand if you miss it on the flop would not raising be a somewhat better play? If the BB calls the hand plays well multi-way. I think the pre-flop call, check-raise flop puts you in the position of having to make the straight to get paid as ABC will not pay off the nut flush. Ace high is not going to win this and I would discount hitting your ace as an out. ABC 1 & 2 both have something they like and are going to the river. I think you have backed yourself into the corner of having to make your hand to win so in your position I check call the turn to get to the river as cheaply as possible.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have called preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Tommy, if I could ask for further explanation, why don't you raise this preflop? Are you going for subterfuge? Or do you prefer a better holding to raise from the SB preflop? (I don't know, AQ-suited, big pair, something else above AJ-suited.)

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 01-20-2005, 11:36 PM

Not for all those extra bets I'm not.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:42 PM

I'm guessing it's his love of good position and hatred of bad.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:58 AM

when i said 7.50EV i meant in dollars. you are making $7.50 by raising the flop. you have 2 players in the hand and are at worst 50/50 to improve by the river. you are splitting a bb with whoever is ahead here. you shouldnt be concerned with getting 3 bet. if you are, you are not losing money, you are even money to make your hand by the river.

i like betting this flop moreso than checkraising, but checkraising is a much better line than checkcalling because you have tremendous EV, and are setting yourself up to take down the pot without showdown. the only valid arguement against this play that i can see is being worried about getting raised on the turn. i can understand that.

let me add some more numbers to the mix for you guys. lets assume that you checkraise the flop and both players call. your EV is +$7.50. turn is a brick and you lead. UTG raises and the other player folds. you now have to pay an extra bet to see the river then if you were to simply check-call the whole hand. your pot equity is about 1:2, so you lose $15 when you are raised. therefore, you make a total of $7.50 every time you take my line and are not raised, and lose a total of $7.50 every time you take my line and are raised. if you are raised less than 50% of the time on the turn then my line is clearly +EV. add in the fact that you have the potential to take the turn down uncontested with a bet, and the fact that your ace outs may be clean, my line starts to look pretty fundamentally profitable.