Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Has college really changed that much?

Fiery's most recent installment of "I'm going to quit (fill in the blank) and play poker," got me thinking about this topic again. I've never understood it.

I went to college. Here's what I did:

-Wake up and take some drugs to kill the hangover
-Think "oh [censored], I missed religion." (I went to a private religious school, Pepperdine, so I had to take 4 semesters of religion. It sucked.)
-Smoke a bowl.
-Go to the beach and have lunch.
-Go to class for a bit
-Go to the quad and try to pick up chicks
-Go home and smoke a bowl
-Go to the gym and play volleyball
-Go home and drink 982372923402 beers
-Go to some sporting event or a party or a bar
-pass out

During this rigorous time in my life, several thoughts went through my mind:

"That chick is so hot."
"This bud is so sticky"
"This class is so lame"
"I want a beer"
"We should go surfing"

But not once. Not ever. Not for one second during my four years did it ever occur to me that I should quit.

All of my friends who went to UCLA, UCSD, USC, Stanford, and Berkley all had pretty much the same experience except that it took 5 and 1/2 years instead of 4.

WTF!? Has college really changed that much in the past 15 years?

Some of you kids are nuts.

Irieguy

PS- You can carry 20 units and play 800 SNGs a month while drinking every single night and sleeping till noon. Easily.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Has college really changed that much?

20 units of what? Not engineering, I'll tell you that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] And your tolerance was WAY better than mine. I only drank like 37 beers a night. Plus the chicks were ugly at Berkeley. I had to drive 20 minutes to San Francisco to find the hot ones. Damn, why didn't I drop out? If only I'd started playing poker sooner...
Old 08-26-2005, 03:35 AM

OSU>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>Pepperdine. I went for ~5 years, got about a year and a half away from an engineering degree (5 year program plus the many classes i had to retake = 7 years for me), realized that i didnt want to be an engineer, quit, started waiting tables, saw that over 1/2 of my coworkers had degrees, and realized that primary degree doesnt mean squat anymore. I'm 25, I want to get into real estate, I may or may not finish up when I move to the west coast.

ps. If given the choice between being a world class poker player, and being able to relive my 5 years in school, I'd choose the latter in a second.

going for 1300 a month but never will touch a drink (cant even stand pop)

Depends where you go to school. I suppose you can get by doing the bare minimum anywhere though.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus the chicks were ugly at Berkeley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget the pseudo-feminists. Pseudo-feminists hate men and sometimes attack with their picket signs. Real feminists love men. See, I learned something in college.

People need to accept that with a very few exceptions, most of us lead easy, cushy lives, college or not.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:00 AM

College has not changed. I am going into my senior year and im thinking about failing on purpose to stay longer.

I think the case for Fiery, and really no offense to him, is that he is probably the one you didnt see at parties, drinking, fking girls, etc. Without that money chit college kinda blows
Old 08-26-2005, 04:05 AM

UCSD is now famous for being a socially dead campus overflowing with engineering and computer science majors who dedicate their life to making your life hell in any class with a curve. Majoring in Economics lets me avoid a lot of this though [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 04:07 AM

No money just makes it that much more fun. There's fun to be had on a college campus other than lame-ass social events. Most people suck anyway, but the sheer volume on a campus makes it damn hard not to find a few people worth your time. In conclusion, get a life, don't buy one, jerk.

SlimP
Old 08-26-2005, 04:18 AM

that would have been a nice experience, mine was working 25 to 40 hours a week at a "good" job making about 3 times minimum wage, with a wife I didnt much care for and a kid I would gladly die for. I finished because I was stuborn. I always saw myself as a collage grad, so i finished.

I didnt even read the "make me stay in collage" thread. WTF do I care. I aint his dad. My opinion has always been, do whatever the hell ya want. The collages have been there for 100+ years. They aint going anywhere. As long as your not a complete idiot with the money you make, if your more interested in playing poker, play. When your sick of it (A point most people less simple minded than myself reach pretty quick) go back to school. Nobody really cares. Well, I'm sure parents do, but I don't.

Steve

(ps been drinking some, sorry if im making an ass of myself, but thats life)