Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Play Poker like the Pros

by Phil Hellmuth Jr.

Does anyone else think that this is one of the best poker books ever written? It is clear, insightful, and genuinely helpful.

His brilliant mind comes up such new and edgy strategy and theory that is applicable in every limit/game I've ever played. For instance, when discussing strategy about an <u>online</u> single table tournament, he suggests (paraphrased): "look at your opponent to see if he has any visible tells, like shaky hands".

Genious. I recommend this to anyone.

[/sarcasm]
Old 12-04-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Play Poker like the Pros

I also enjoy the ram and jam preflop with 77 advice in HE (I haven't read PPLTP, just the hold'em part sold seperately under the title Texas Hold'em)

It was my first book ever, and fortunaly I soon after bougt Internettexasholdem by Hilger and SSHE

Still the pure poker aside .. I actually enjoyed the book a lot ... It's a fun read, and Phil is soo full of him self (and if I am to give just a tiny bit of credit, I is an ok introduction to pokerpsychology)

But yes .. pokerwise it really suck .. :-)
Old 12-04-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also enjoy the ram and jam preflop with 77 advice in HE (I haven't read PPLTP, just the hold'em part sold seperately under the title Texas Hold'em)

It was my first book ever, and fortunaly I soon after bougt Internettexasholdem by Hilger and SSHE

Still the pure poker aside .. I actually enjoyed the book a lot ... It's a fun read, and Phil is soo full of him self (and if I am to give just a tiny bit of credit, I is an ok introduction to pokerpsychology)

But yes .. pokerwise it really suck .. :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

It was my first book too. Then I found some 2+2 material and found how bad the book was. I had it for sale in a yard sale over the summer - no one picked it up.

One person said, "Isn't he that whiner that complains a lot when he loses - it's still gambling right?"

I just smiled and said, "I take it that you don't want it, right?"

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One person said, "Isn't he that whiner that complains a lot when he loses..."

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people think this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] At least he's somewhat amusing and admits that he acts like a jack ass.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:28 PM

I think everyone is being too hard on the guy.

He reaches final tables and wins some tournaments. Sure he behaves badly. But doesnt he have some knowledge, which we would like to have.

I havent got his book yet, but I think I will buy it.

I think PH must be good at reading players and the psychology aspect of the game, even if he comes across as a poor sport when he doesnt win.

I find that I am always interested in watching him play when it is televised, and I am sure that he must have an exceptional skill to achieve the results which he does.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:23 PM

He does say: "Of course, if you have a lot of evidence to suggest that your 7-7 is beaten..., then you might do well to fold the hand."

Otherwise, when you play 7-7, you come in for a raise.
"When you consistently play only the top ten hands, your opponents will begin to fear your bets and raises because they'll see that you're always playing something powerful. This fear gives you some leeway to make a few different plays later on...."

In practice, this system of always raising gives away less information about your hands.

If 7-7 isn't one of the top 10 hands, it's close. (It's 13th on Howard Lederer's pre-flop strategy list for NLH.) If the average player looks at his poker tracker stats and filters just his "top ten hands," he'll see that those hands account for the vast majority of his profits. All Hellmuth is teaching (and it's a beginner's book, despite the title) is to restrict your play to hands that are a math favorite over the long haul and to play them aggressively. What is wrong with that advice?
Old 12-04-2005, 09:48 PM

I especially like the poem at the beginning of Play Poker Like The Pros. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I'm waiting for him to write a book about poetry. He can call it "Write poetry, like prose"
Old 12-04-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think everyone is being too hard on the guy.

He reaches final tables and wins some tournaments. Sure he behaves badly. But doesnt he have some knowledge, which we would like to have.

I havent got his book yet, but I think I will buy it.

I think PH must be good at reading players and the psychology aspect of the game, even if he comes across as a poor sport when he doesnt win.

I find that I am always interested in watching him play when it is televised, and I am sure that he must have an exceptional skill to achieve the results which he does.

[/ QUOTE ]

no one is criticizing him as a player. it's the book that's bad. he has trouble transfering his knowledge to paper.

and there is some good info in there but it's jammed in between confusing and incorrect information. so it can actually be a detriment to your game to learn that correct information.

if you really want the book, PM me and ill sell you my copy cheap.

bwana
Old 12-04-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I especially like the poem at the beginning of Play Poker Like The Pros. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I'm waiting for him to write a book about poetry. He can call it "Write poetry, like prose"

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe. i like it.

as far as puns go that's pretty good.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For instance, when discussing strategy about an <u>online</u> single table tournament, he suggests (paraphrased): "look at your opponent to see if he has any visible tells, like shaky hands".[/sarcasm]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kindly provide the page number you found this on.