Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2004, 11:52 AM

Default Am I ready for mid-limit?

Hello everyone.

I have been playing for about 6 months now and have taken poker like a major in college. That is, I've read all the suggested reading out there and have used this as my "edge" when I sit down at a table.

I started out in $3-$6 but found that it is too hard to showdown the winner against multiple LAPs at a LAG.

I tried $9-$18 and found that to be a much better game for my style. I can say that I can walk away from the $9-18 sessions a winner 70% of the time.

This past weekend I tried out $15-$30 and did well. I picked up on a couple of tricky players and some of their tactics. The table I was at was pretty loose vs. what I was expecting.

The reason I ask this question as to whether or not I am ready is the fact that one of my good friends, who is a high-limit ($80-$160) player told me that until I can consistently beat the low-limit game, I have no business in the mid- to high-limit games. I don't know if he was saying this to protect me, but I feel that I cannot protect my starting hands as well in low-limit.

Example: Pocket Js in low-limit have been worthless to me, but in mid-limit, they held up 12 out of the 15 times I had them. Ditto with AA.

Thoughts?