Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 02:46 PM

Default FoldOrRaise.com?

I just revisited the site and discovered that my play didn't match that of the "Expert Player".

The funny thing is, I was a losing player back when I first joined that site, and my play matchd his. Now, it doesn't.

For example, P3 raises, P4 re-raises big. You're in 5th with QQ...in a cash game this is an easy fold for me, because P3 is liable to go all-in and then you'll be forced to call, and you'll probably see one of the big pairs.

Maybe I'm playing this a bit weak, I don't know.

Also, they constantly insist on playing AXs. I try to stay away from that crap like the plague because what are you trying to make? The most recent play: P5 calls, you're in P6 with A7s. I elected to fold, while he suggested a small raise.

Obviously a call is the worst option, and perhaps an occasional stealing play is correct, but should that be the standard with this hand? This is taking into account also that I'm coming from $50NL, where stealing pots pre-flop is very difficult, so obviously the strategy is quite different than, say, the middle of a $150+15 buy-in tournament, where I'd make the raise my default option.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: FoldOrRaise.com?

OK, another one: P3 calls, you're in 6th with 9h8c. I thought this was a very easy fold, I'd only call if like 4 players just called and I were on the button or just off the button, and I knew none of the players yet to act were too agressive.

"Expert's Pick: Call"

Expert's Comments:
"You want to see a cheap multi-way flop with this hand, so it's fine to call."
Old 06-12-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: FoldOrRaise.com?

It depends a lot on the limit. In unimaginative low limit games most passive fish won't reraise preflop without AA, KK, QQ, or AK. The higher limits are more aggressive perhaps making QQ play differently. Same for other hands. His advice may be limit/table sensitive.