Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2004, 09:50 AM

Default Misplayed Pocket Aces?

Paradise $25 NL.

I'm UTG+1 with $28 and pocket aces. UTG has around $25 and opens for $2. I raise all-in. It's folded around to UTG. He thinks about it for a while and calls. He turns over A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I'm an 88% favorite. That is until three hearts fall on the board and I'm nearly broke.

Obviously if I had won and dragged a $50 pot I wouldn't be questioning my play of the hand. What I'm wondering is instead of going all-in, should I have raised enough, say $5-$10 to ensure it we would be heads up, yet still give him a chance to get away from his hand before the flop.

Sometimes I think that pushing all-in in these low stakes NL games is asking for trouble. I get the feeling that my fishy opponents have the slot machine mentality, and when facing an all-in call, they are sitting in front of their computers with their finger on the call button screaming "Let it ride baby!!!, Let it Ride!!".

They are idiots, and they know it. They couldn't possibly outplay me, so by going all-in they don't have to make any decisions when facing a bet on later streets. All they have to do is push it all in and leave it up to the fate of the cards-no thought required, and if they hit a miracle, they double up with no effort.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Misplayed Pocket Aces?

How many other callers might you have gotten and what were THEIR stacks at? You might have lost the main pot to him but mad enough on the sidepot(s) to come out even or ahead if you let others "test the waters"
Old 05-13-2004, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I get the feeling that my fishy opponents have the slot machine mentality, and when facing an all-in call, they are sitting in front of their computers with their finger on the call button screaming "Let it ride baby!!!, Let it Ride!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

If you complain about your opponents making negative EV calls you don't understand poker.

-Ben
Old 05-13-2004, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I get the feeling that my fishy opponents have the slot machine mentality, and when facing an all-in call, they are sitting in front of their computers with their finger on the call button screaming "Let it ride baby!!!, Let it Ride!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

If you complain about your opponents making negative EV calls you don't understand poker.

-Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank for the useless reply Einstein.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are idiots

[/ QUOTE ]

Clever as well.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:19 AM

Hey Ben,
Don't you have finals to study for or something?

Come back when you have some useful input. I was playing poker when you were still playing with toys.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the useless post AcesFull.

You manage to get all your money in preflop when you are a 90% favorite, got some idiot to call you, and you felt the need to post this with the title of "misplayed pocket aces"?

If your opponents have this slot machine mentality, then push everytime you have AA and KK and be happy about it.

[ QUOTE ]
What I'm wondering is instead of going all-in, should I have raised enough, say $5-$10 to ensure it we would be heads up, yet still give him a chance to get away from his hand before the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your thinking here is just wrong. Why do you want him to get away from any hand here?

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously if I had won and dragged a $50 pot I wouldn't be questioning my play of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a time and a place for bad beat stories, this forum is neither.

FsuPlayer
Old 05-13-2004, 11:23 AM

What is this, national be an [censored] day?

This is not a bad beat story. I'm simply asking if it's better to push here or just make a moderate raise?

If you don't like the post, don't reply and it will go away. I guess you just need to feel superior dickhead.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:39 AM

Raise to whatever you think the player will call. Against that guy from now on you push everytime. Against an unknown, if you are going to reraise, the pot is always a default number.

I cant remember your original post but if the blinds are .25-.50 and UTG raised to $2 then there is 4.75 in the pot after your call, so reraise it up to $8 or so and plan on getting the rest in on all but the worst flops.

[ QUOTE ]
This is not a bad beat story. I'm simply asking if it's better to push here or just make a moderate raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

The tone of your post is whiney, thats why you are getting those responses. That and the fact the your entire post seemed to be results oriented from your title to the surrounding details of your post.

Insted, next time title it "Aces: Reraise All In Here?", or "Did I play these too fast?".

That way it sounds less like a complaining bad beat story and more like a legitimate post with a actual strategic question.

FsuPlayer
Old 05-13-2004, 11:44 AM

You cannot complain if you get it all in with aces before the flop. Why you think he would fold to a $10 bet when he called an all in I don't understand, slot machines mentality or not. All a lesser bet does is allow him to get away after the flop if he misses not before the flop. Some people might fold AKs to a raise of $10 (though not likely) but definitely not someone who is going to call all in with it.

If anything I think you misplayed it the other way by betting too big to the extent that you were lucky he called and you got action with them, which is what you wanted. And yes I do mean you got lucky when he called. Whether or not he then flopped his flush is irrelevant - you still want him to call this all day long leaving you a big favourite (around 9 to 1ish I think) every time.

If you want to see how to really misplay pocket aces check out:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...;fpart=#682244