Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 07:53 PM

Default AK no pair hand - push or induce a bluff?

This is in a full tilt $10 mtt. Villain in the hand is on the loose side preflop, he's called raises with stuff like AT, QJ. He's also aggressive postflop, and likes to bluff and semibluff a lot. Blinds are 25/50.

Villain (2800)
Hero (1050)

I open utg for 200 with AK. Villain calls in mp and it's heads up.
Flop is 873 rainbow. I push my last 850 into a pot of 475.

After the hand it occured to me that check/raising allin might be a better option. I figure he's calling anyways with a set or overpair, but will fold unpaired hands that I have dominated, so I make a bit more when he bluffs with nothing. Since villain is aggressive and likes to bluff I didn't want to risk him making a move with AJ or whatever, so I didn't fire a standard continuation bet. What do you guys think is the best option: check/fold, check/raise, bet about 200, or push? Thanks for any comments.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: AK no pair hand - push or induce a bluff?

If a guy is real aggressive I like inducing a bluff. You not only make more than by betting out but your checks will get more respect later on. I tend to be a TAG so inducing bluffs is one of my best defensive plays against a LAG.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:20 AM

Thanks for the comment. Any way you consider just check/folding here?
Old 07-24-2005, 09:53 AM

just a thought - if u check to induce and if he doesn't bet and then any high card except an A or K hits the turn - then what do you do?

It was stated he plays any 2 face cards - I say pushhope he has also missed it and take the pot (given ur stack size) and don't let him outdraw you

Just my thoughts

Damian
Old 07-24-2005, 10:21 AM

The trouble with check-raising here is that villain is probably going to be pot stuck and calling to see if his small pair or 6 outer is good. In hindsight it might have been better to raise a little less preflop to say 150 in order to give yourself a little more room to maneuver post flop. It makes it less painful to make a 1/2 pot continuation bet and fold to a push or gives you a better shot of folding out villain when you check-raise all-in.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just a thought - if u check to induce and if he doesn't bet and then any high card except an A or K hits the turn - then what do you do?

It was stated he plays any 2 face cards - I say pushhope he has also missed it and take the pot (given ur stack size) and don't let him outdraw you

Just my thoughts

Damian

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. But with this villain, he's not checking this flop unless he has a monster, AA or a set imo. He tries to be tricky. I didn't mention earlier, I'd seen him check/call a KTx flop and check/raise push the turn (when he had 1500 chips) and showed the move.