Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Re: How good is your Limit Hold \'Em?

Oui. So I screwed up the action on the flop to. Here is how the book advises u to play it. (I confused hypothetcal plays with the actual play in the hand.)

Also, check raising this flop is a little over aggressive for your modest holding. So says the book and I would have told u the same thing even before I read it.

It says betting out on the flop cannot be bad but most of the time u will get raised and sometimes villian will just call trapping u with a hand like KJ.

It does say Check-calling is usually bad play in holdem but there is something to be said for it here. Also that it is much easier to judge where you are at in the hand with 4 cards instead of 3.

I think CR is no good and betting out means you'll get popped.

Also when I said it was the most solid line u can take, I was taking into account the actions (and villian -- they present a weaker villian in hypo play) it describes in the hypo play with which I agreed.

[ QUOTE ]

You hold 55 in the BB. TheMan open raises in the cutoff. You call. (pot is heads up)

Flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
You CHECK, he BETS, u call

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Bet, he CALLS

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Bet, he folds

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-28-2005, 05:42 PM

Heh. Yea Jim plays looser than his text advocates, that's for sure (though he certainly plays well from what I saw). I played some 40-80 with him at Wynn.

Jeff
Old 07-13-2005, 03:22 AM

Just got this book today so I had to bump this. I haven't really gotten into the hands yet, but assuming the advice is mostly correct, this looks like a very good book.

I didn't realize this before buying it, but according to the author, almost all of the hand examples are taken from online 15/30 & 20/40. With that in mind, I would think most 2+2ers would be all over it.

Does anyone have more info on Byron Jacobs?
Old 07-15-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read some of Byron Jacobs' chess books, but other than what it says on the back cover I don't know much.

I bought this book last night, then came here to see what people thought of it. It did look pretty good. As I go though I am flagging some things to discuss here or in the strategy forums later. What would be better? Here, SS, or Mid-high?
Old 07-16-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does it reccommend 3-betting a tight UTG raiser with KJo? Jim Brier made that play against me.

I bought the book, but haven't read it yet. I will now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim didn't write this book, he was only a consultant to make sure the play was correct.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2005, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read some of Byron Jacobs' chess books, but other than what it says on the back cover I don't know much.

I bought this book last night, then came here to see what people thought of it. It did look pretty good. As I go though I am flagging some things to discuss here or in the strategy forums later. What would be better? Here, SS, or Mid-high?

[/ QUOTE ]

SS could use the interesting discussion, but it'd probably be better for you if it was posted in MHS.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:56 PM

The advice in this book is much more aggressive than I would play, and I think I've been playing too aggressively.

I have read through the book only once so far, but I found some of the analysis lacking. (e.g. no detailed analysis of possible holdings, odds, etc. a la HOH.) At least it didn't seem convincing enough to me where I thought I'd play differently.

I'm not a 20-40/30-60 player, however, and would like to discuss some of these hands in more detail to learn why these plays are correct (as someday I'd like to be a 30/60 player). I thought a "study group" discussion would be helpful, but don't want to do it in such a way as to make it give away too much to people who haven't bought the book.

Is anyone else interested in such a discussion? Any thoughts about the most appropriate way to go about it? Also, is the book forum or the mid-high stakes forum the best place for it?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:25 PM

I think you could make a pretty strong case the the strategy forums already are a study group.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you could make a pretty strong case the the strategy forums already are a study group.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but not centered around the hands and suggested plays in the book. Are you suggesting the mid-high forum as a good place to discuss the hands in the book?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:55 PM

I think it is a very good place to discuss hands, I doubt if the source is that important.