Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 01:41 AM

Default Back to the online grind: 43s

30/60 Empire. A LAG (preflop, tones down post) open-raises in MP and is cold called by a loose fishy player in the CO. Another semi-laggy player calls in the SB, I defend the grande blind with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. My table image is fine.

Flop T64 with two hearts and no spades, SB bets, I call, MP folds, CO calls.

Turn an offsuit Q, SB bets I raise intending for those to be the last bets I put into the pot unimproved.

I really miss live play. And I'm really trying to play well, no more excuses for being sloppy. Is this an example of the former or the latter?
Old 06-24-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Back to the online grind: 43s

You have this loose fish in the CO and you are attempting to bumb him out of the hand?!?! This lure might not be big enough and is likely to chase any flush or st8 draws and i doubt he is folding a pair. I think this is wise in the fact that it makes him pay double for the draw but the inherent problem lies within your holding. If he is already paired or pairs the river all he needs is fives or better. And this is only the CO and you still have SB to worry about. Thus I believe this is weak in this case and it would just be better to simply fold.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:03 AM

Well Nate, you're smarter than me, but I don't get this one. I mean, you're pretty much hoping that SB is betting a non-pair hand, AND that you're going to fold the loose-fishy CO behind you. Seems like just too many things that have to go right for you to win this one with bottom pair.

I really don't like the situation it sets up on the river. If the SB has a piece of the board and calls your turn raise, you're in a spot where you've decided to not bet, but that gives you like no chance of winning if you're called on the turn - and there's easily the possibility you're called by two players.

I dunno, I don't play that high, and I know people are donkeys, but even a lone T is getting plenty of odds to call your turn raise, so I don't think you're getting the fold enough times there.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:15 AM

You're going far too far with this hand. It's a flop fold for sure. This hand seems anything but a grind.

PokerPrince
Old 06-24-2005, 02:56 AM

Yeah I'm always scared to jump in on your posts because I always get corrected but I think you butchered this one pretty badly by continuing past the flop, and I don't think much of a case can be made otherwise.

-Michael
Old 06-24-2005, 03:15 AM

I'm with the majority.

It seems like a case of FPS brought about from the 80/160 you were playing.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:29 AM

This is usually an easy flop fold for me.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:30 AM

i think you played this fine. in other words, youre in trouble.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
30/60 Empire. A LAG (preflop, tones down post) open-raises in MP and is cold called by a loose fishy player in the CO. Another semi-laggy player calls in the SB, I defend the grande blind with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. My table image is fine.

Flop T64 with two hearts and no spades, SB bets, I call, MP folds, CO calls.

Turn an offsuit Q, SB bets I raise intending for those to be the last bets I put into the pot unimproved.

I really miss live play. And I'm really trying to play well, no more excuses for being sloppy. Is this an example of the former or the latter?

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold the flop. A semi lag is leading into 3 players. You have bottom pair. You are getting 9-1 to make 2 pair or trips(or the nasty end of a 1 card open ender) with the potential for overcalls. The bad thing is, you have 2 people to act behind you who could punish you. You don't know for sure how they are going to react to a raise on a later street.
You are out of position, and this isn't the best situation to try to rob a pot against a LAG and a fish.

I dont think I would say the hand was "butchered," because the flop cold call was only slightly -ev (situational).
The turn raise could make the play overall +ev, but the opponents described aren't conducive to the intended result.
So, a decent plan, just implemented in a slightly inappropriate situation.

my 2 cents
blake
Old 06-24-2005, 04:49 AM

Nate, I think you're spewing chips on this one. When you call a raise with 43s in the BB, the idea is to play well postflop. Just fold when the SB bets.