Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 07:01 AM

Default Re: 80/160 #4: AJs

[ QUOTE ]
It might well be pocket kings too, but the more I think about it the more I like finding out with a raise on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

Lawrence
Old 06-24-2005, 08:19 AM

It's either hes slowplaying the set of kings or you have a chance to win by having the best hand or improveing. On the turn you need to decide how likely it is for him to have the set. Once you call the turn you should not fold the river it is completely contradictory.

I think you should strongly consider folding the turn as I rarely see poeple check the flop in this spot without a monster.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:49 PM

I like raising the turn (to get out QQ). Fold to a 3-bet.

Between calling and folding the turn, I prefer to fold, but given that the turn was called, I think the river is a pretty clear fold (but probably a close call had the river been a rag instead of the T).
Old 06-24-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like raising the turn (to get out QQ). Fold to a 3-bet.

Between calling and folding the turn, I prefer to fold, but given that the turn was called, I think the river is a pretty clear fold (but probably a close call had the river been a rag instead of the T).

[/ QUOTE ]

So say you raise the turn, he calls.. river comes a 5, checked to you.. Do you bet that river or just check behind or does it depend on what comes on the river?
Old 06-24-2005, 06:53 PM

I like it all around.

The flop is a clear check. Anytime someone checks after getting in the last raise in pf is getting cute with something...and since you're going to be checkraised probably >50% of the time defintiely a good time to check behind.

I think the turn is a tricky decision. I think however that since you might several outs and free cards aren't terrible to give, I don't like the idea of raising and folding to a 3 bet, so I like the call.

As far as raising to fold QQ...anyone who checks the Kxx flop with QQ is the type who has showdown in mind.

The river I think is a fine fold. 7:1. The only hand I think you're in good shape against is another AJ.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:34 PM

in terms of a turn raise, the question is what types of hands is the villian willing to fold. Would he fold QQ here? It seems like that is the only hand you could realistics bet him off of. (maybe AJ too)

Other hands like AK, KQ, i dont see him folding in this type of game.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An opponent whom I regarded at the time as somewhat loose-aggressive, especially before the flop, open-raises from UTG+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's laggy preflop, theres a good chance he would 4 bet here with a fairly wide range of hands heads up; particularly if you're seen as a tight-ish. Given that, i think that a call on the river is an absolute must. If he'll 4 bet with pairs down to 6s, AKs-AJo and KQs, your pot equity is about 28% [this is largely dependent on what those two rags actually were] so getting 7:1 it seems like a call. Hell, i think he could be way out there playing some suited connector BS.

It's close and there are also meta-game considerations. This seems like a good place to make what looks like a loose call on the river.

just one lurker's opinion.

doodle
Old 06-25-2005, 01:59 PM

elysium, i dont see how u can say he should never raise here, free showdown?? but i dunno if i want to argue with a guy who gave me advice when i was a newbie
Old 06-25-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So say you raise the turn, he calls.. river comes a 5, checked to you.. Do you bet that river or just check behind or does it depend on what comes on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd check behind unless a J comes. If its the type of player that will 3 bet the turn with AA/AK then bet the river if an ace hits as well.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:10 AM

Default Results

Not much to report here; I folded obviously and he didn't show.

FWIW, I planned to call down on a river blank, but felt like the T was an awful card for me since it improved AQ and TT, two of the hands that I felt like I was ahead of.

Still not sure about the turn play. This might fall into the category of "if your hand is worth calling down or even almost worth calling down, then it may be worth paying the same number of bets by raising and taking a free showdown if you have any folding equity at all".