Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 01:45 AM

Default QQ late

Pacific $5 tournament tonight, 661 players. Down to 71 players and I have 10k chips. Blinds are 250/500. Average stack is about 7k. One caller; I am on the button and get QQ. I raise to 2500, the small blind quickly goes all in 13k. Everyone folds to me. I called, he had AA and got a third ace on the flop and a fourth on the turn. Did I make the right decision, or should I have layed my queens down?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:54 AM

Default Re: QQ late

Unless you have him pegged as some kind of Maniac, it's an easy laydown.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:56 AM

You know you made the right decision. Given your position, the small blind could've easily thought you were on a steal. Plus you're getting 1.7-1 on your call if you're up against AK.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:57 AM

Thanks Icono. I guess I just figured since I raised with 20% of my stack, I might as well go with the third best starting hand. But yeah, the fact that he went in so quickly, had a big stack (credibility) should have been enough clues to let it go.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:07 AM

Hey Terp...I'm in HoCo and go to Towson. It felt right, but I wasn't sure. I'm still pretty green when it comes to NL tournies.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:50 AM

I think your raise was unnecessarily big, especially when the blinds are so large compared to stack sizes. Even with the one limper you could have gotten away with raising to 1750-2000. This just makes it a little easier to lay down the hand if someone comes over the top.

It's hard to predict what hand someone would go all-in with in low buy-in tournies since the skill level is all over the place. If I thought (based on watching his play) that this guy was at least a decent player, I think it's a pretty easy lay down. He has a pretty decent stack and I don't think he would risk a huge chunk of it on anything but a decent hand. And if you've been playing solid tight-aggressive poker, this would make the decision even easier. So I'd put him on AA, KK, QQ (unlikely), JJ or AK. I'll even stretch and say that maybe he'd raise with TT but I think he's more likely to call and see the flop with that. Not including TT, you are a 47-53 underdog. You have pot odds to call but I personally think pot odds are overrated in situations like this (when you are putting your tourney on the line in a situation where you are most likely a dog). If you think he would do this with TT then you become a slight favorite.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:05 AM

Man whatever im rolling with QQ here yu just ran into aces...There is this belief out there that there is some perfect balance of play were one can be agressive-careful-intellingent in NLH and never get in as a big dog; this just isnt true. You cant lay QQ there no way look at some of the crap people move in with when they suspect a late postion player is making a move..OH AND YOU HAVE THE 3RD BEST HAND IN POKER. It is unfortunate you ran into aces but guess what if you had KK here...you would have run into aces...AK or JJ I can see getting away from and maybe a smaller raise would be in order but no way QQ. Thems the breaks in NLH so if you cant just bite your lip here pick up another game IMHO.