Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2003, 12:12 PM

Default well played? or just lucky?

.50/1 blinds NLHE
i've got KTs ([img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) from the button. it gets to me with 3 callers, i call, the SB calls, and the BB checks. flop comes with a small pair and 1 heart. its checked to me and i bluff into the table. 2 call to me. turn comes another heart, once again checked to me. im not at a very good table, so i dont think im getting check raised. the two could be staying in with trips, or even just two overcards. i semi bluff, and only get one caller this time. the river is another heart. the board is now 3 hearts, a small pair, and 9 high. hooray for runner runner to give me the flush. its checked to me. i bet, he calls, i turn over the flush and take down the pot. naturally he's prety upset that i ran out the backdoor with the hand.

i cant question that i got extremely lucky on the river, but what about before that point. i managed to push out most of the table... should i have bet bigger on the turn to try to buy it?

how would you have played this hand?
Old 08-31-2003, 12:47 PM

Default Re: well played? or just lucky?

Betting the flop into that many players was wrong, you've got nothing and virtually no chance for everyone to fold. True, you did have overcards, but for a bet to be a semi-bluff there must be some chance of everyone folding. I'd have checked and taken the free card on the flop. That would have set you up for a better opportunity to semi-bluff bet (or possibly raise) the turn, tho doing so was not automatic by any means.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:21 PM

Default Re: well played? or just lucky?

I agree totally. The flop bet makes no sense.