Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Looking for a book on backgammon

Any recommendations? I'm familiar with the basic rules, but don't know much strategy
Old 11-01-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Looking for a book on backgammon

Backgammon by Paul Magriel

or

Backgammon For Winners by Bill Robertie
(Bill Co-Authored both Harrington on Hold'em books and posts to the forums)
Old 11-01-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

or

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? i just looked up the x22 book on ebay and here is what i found: 180 friggin dollars?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

or

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? i just looked up the x22 book on ebay and here is what i found: 180 friggin dollars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, looks like it must be a good book then. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2005, 10:37 PM

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, looks like it must be a good book then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I come from the backgammon world. Magriel's 1970's hardback editions are THE bible of backgammon. I paid $80 for mine on ebay 2 years ago. The impact this book had on BG when it came out was profound. Its still one of the best books around 30 years later.

So ya I'm not surprised they want $180 for it.

L8r... BB
Old 11-01-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Magriel's book is out of print. However, in the not too distant past I've seen new copies on the shelves at the Gambler's Book Club for $45. It's likely that GBC still has copies at this price.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Backgammon resources

bill robertie (a 2 time world champion) has written many terrific books on backgammon. he also has a web site which sells, backgammon books (other authors books too, including magriel), boards, computer software, etc.

thegammonpress.com

or call bill on his business line, 781-641-2091
Old 11-02-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Backgammon resources

I'm an advanced/expert level player, usually rated from around 1850-1900 on FIBS, currently 1900.

I third the recomendation for Magriel's book. It is still the best overall introduction to quality play. I bought the paperback reissue from Carol Joy Cole. Search google for her website, she's well regarded by backgammon players as a supplier and I know I have had outstanding service.

If you want to play seriously you should look into joining Kit Woolsey's Gammonline website. It's full of terrific articles and has a bulletin board where some of the world's best players post daily. A lifetime subscription was only $35 last I saw. Lifetime since they are no longer updating with new strategy articles (used to be a yearly fee) but it still has all the past articles. And the board itself is so helpful with answering questions and posting interesting positions that it's an unbelievable bargain. The members vote daily for the move in an ongoing match against Woolsey himself who is a well known world class player. Lot's of fun. Going through the archive of past 11 point matches of Woolsey against the readers taught me far more about backgammon then any book ever did. Kit's comments on each move (he comments on every move and cube decision for both himself and the readers) are very clear, and suitable for the full range of players from beginner to world class.

GammonVillage also is very good. I joined and being able to read Walter Trice's 'Backgammon Boot Camp" series of articles was worth the money. In fact, he published the articles as a book by the same name and next to Magriel I think it is the other outstanding book for someone who is new or intermediate but wants to become good.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Backgammon resources

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to play seriously you should look into joining Kit Woolsey's Gammonline website. It's full of terrific articles and has a bulletin board where some of the world's best players post daily. A lifetime subscription was only $35 last I saw.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please don't patronize this website. It distracts Woolsey from writing about bridge.