Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 05:52 PM

Default PS 200NL: AQ faces raise on A high flop. Standard line?

Villan had just sat down and played one hand prior to this one. In that hand he called a min-raise pf and folded to a bet on the flop. He bought in for $80 at a $200 table.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO ($33)
Button ($155.10)
SB ($287.90)
Hero ($537.85)
UTG ($83)
UTG+1 ($132.85)
MP1 ($156)
MP2 ($104.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $2, MP2 calls $2, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Note: I raise about 60% of the time in this situation and check about 40% of the time. This may actually be the root of my whole problem in this hand. Since I didn't pop it up, it makes reading later hands much more difficult.

Flop: ($7) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $14</font>, MP2 folds, Hero???

What is your standard line here? I've seen guys do this with a worse kicker than Q many times at the 1/2 tables. But of course, you could be facing a set or two pair. Assuming no reads against someone who just bought in short, do you re-pop here and figure you're going to get your money in? Fold? Call down if the bets aren't too big?

Assume that I raised it to $10 pre-flop and only villan called and the same action happened on the flop. Would that change your course of action?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: PS 200NL: AQ faces raise on A high flop. Standard line?

Why check from the BB and lead that flop? for the "pot" no-less? More times than not hands that beat you limp for 2 and call a pot sized bet on boards like that. My suggestion would be to let MP1 do the driving until the board gets really scary or he/she slows down, one or the other.

Checking the big blind pf here lets hands like A8s, A5s, 55 and 67s enter cheaply and creates difficult decisions on later streets.

In consideration of alternate lines, why not continue your masterfully executed AQo slow play and check raise the flop instead of leading? At least you will be able to get out of dodge cheaply if villian does play back at you strongly and your folding equity is greater against possible draws.

Always raise AK, AQ preflop against limpers. Get the money in while you can because more often than not when you hit your flop those players won't be happy dumping more money in with their small pairs and big kings...

-M
Old 11-30-2005, 06:24 PM

I would call and lead the turn for 2/3 pot and fold to a raise
Old 11-30-2005, 08:13 PM

The problem with the way you played the hand is you never threatened a good bit of the villains stack. His PSR on the flop lets him get away cheaply if you play back at him and you are beat.

Youve let villain take the iniative by betting here (counterintuitive). Now when villain retakes the lead, it is for an amount that threatens you far more than your PSB threatened him.

Doyle said the key to no limit is to put a man at a decision for all his chips.
I would ammend that statement to say that the key to NL is to threaten the maximum amount of your opponents stack while risking the minimum amount of your own stack. As played, fold flop.

I feel this situation happens to me all the time, and not until I read this post did I realize what I was doing wrong. Next time this situation occurs Ill prob either put a 1/2 pot bet out there or just check the flop.

Edit: I thought this was 100nl. As played, call and lead turn.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you re-pop here and figure you're going to get your money in?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, his stack is too big

[ QUOTE ]
Fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
no, thats incredibly weak without a golden read

[ QUOTE ]
Call down if the bets aren't too big?

[/ QUOTE ]
pretty much, unless you pull the stop n go that was mentioned earlier.

edit: the check out of the big blind is nothing to be ashamed of, no need to juice up the pot OOP. an arguement can be made for a raise as well though. i think its tough to say which is the right play 100% of the time..
Old 11-30-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call and lead the turn for 2/3 pot and fold to a raise

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line. There is also nothing wrong with checking preflop some times with AQ in the BB.

There is a very good chance your hand is good. He may have A 9-J and believe his hand is best since you didn't raise Preflop.