Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Correct river play or did I get wet?

Most interested in what you think of my river play. Feel free, as always, to chop my legs out from under me on the rest of my play!

Reads: Everyone is "partying" except me an one other guy. The others are playing with 63o etc. One villan is 93% over 20 hands and the other is 100% over 15 hands.

I knew that I was ahead until the river but when the heart hit my heart dropped to my feet. I knew that I might be beat and bet it to represent the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] just in case he had the King or less (he did, and had been betting K7 and was playing a pair of 7's when that last heart hit). Was this correct or should I have just folded?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
Old 10-11-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Correct river play or did I get wet?

You probably should have checked this river. If the pot were smaller I'd say bet/fold, but the size of the pot makes me want to get to a showdown on this board as cheaply as possible.

What's with the 4-flush to the board posts tonight... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 07:57 PM

don't like the flop bet, the river bet, or the river call.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:59 PM

If you can't lay down this TP on a 4flush board then check/call the river.

If you're taking a shot at the pot with a hand you think is not best (which is what your post appeared to indicate) you need to fold to that raise.

Either way I don't like putting in two bets here. Are you trying to get to showdown or make a move?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:07 PM

Since UTG 3-bet the flop, I'd have gone for the check-raise on the flop. TPGK is nice, but not at all a sure thing by the river; I try to go ahead and take the pot when I can. However, since you can't make it two bets to MP1, he's probably not folding here even if UTG bets out on the flop for you.

I think the turn is fine. You're probably ahead; it's a value bet.

I have to check/call that river. With two opponents, it's a pretty sure thing one of them has a heart, and at .50/1.00, you're not going to get him to lay it down (in fact, you called a raise without a heart).
Old 10-11-2005, 08:08 PM

I'm sorry, why don't you like the flop bet? You'd rather wait for a c/r here?

Old 10-11-2005, 08:15 PM

Edited because I misunderstood aces dad's post
Old 10-11-2005, 08:22 PM

I think im actually in favour of the bet/fold on the river..i mean how often are you going to fold the best hand after he raises you?

However, by check-calling the river you are going to lose to any hand with a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], but also hands like (poorly played) QQ, KK, AA, AJ.

Heres how i play the hand:

same pre-flop
C/R flop
Bet turn
Bet/Fold river
Old 10-11-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're taking a shot at the pot with a hand you think is not best (which is what your post appeared to indicate) you need to fold to that raise.

Either way I don't like putting in two bets here. Are you trying to get to showdown or make a move?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that you may be right about me taking a shot at the pot but I think that I must have married that hand and forgot to divorce myself from it. Now that I think about the hand and what you said I think that I just didn't want to let it go.

I think that this type of shot at the pot is not going to work at this level. ?????????????
Old 10-11-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, why don't you like the flop bet? You'd rather wait for a c/r here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i'm confused too. I don't know what UTG's limp reraise means, but i think it's somewhat more likely to go bet-raise and knock MP1 out than check-check-bet-raise and knock UTG out. Also, if they both have overcards, maybe they both check it through?

I definitely need more explanation for why a c/r is the way to go here.