Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: 20-40 at the TAJ

[ QUOTE ]
Dante,

If your playing thinking your beat why call a river bet in the first place. He should just fold then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say I was beat. I said that the hands you WANT to raise (i.e. TT JJ, lower pairs, etc) 95% of the time won't call your raise. The only hands that will call are hands that beat you (AA, crappy queen, good queen weak player/weak queen) and any re-raise is either trips or full house or an OUTSTANDING read.

So again, to re-phrase, when you raise this, 95% of the time you won't get paid off by hands that you beat and you'll get raised by hands that beat you...or get pushed off your hand if you won't fold to a re-raise. So tell me where the benefit is in raising? I'm assuming the $20-$40 players at the Taj are competent enough to not call a raise with less than a Q here, maybe AA or KK.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:06 PM

Why in God's name would they actually pay off your river raise? What do they put you on, AJ?
Old 07-12-2004, 03:07 PM

I really thought WOW was enough, but you really ought to play more or read more or most likely both. There was ZERO chance I would raise there (unless I saw his cards). It was call or fold.

Unfortunately I put the results in white, next time I will hold off a few hours as many people thought this was a simple call, perhaps it may be based on pot odds, but I personally was "crying" as I tossed in the $40
Old 07-12-2004, 03:13 PM

I think calling or folding is player dependent...there are some TOM (tight old men)/weak tighties that I can bet out and KNOW that they will fold without a Queen. Against a typical unknown player, I would call, expecting to lose, but not losing 11/12 times, so I would call.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:14 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

based on the way the guy played the hand, i would strongly suspect he would call a river raise (and so would most people)
Old 07-12-2004, 03:20 PM

I have not played the 20-40 game at the taj so maybe im out of line here...based on play at most of my 10-20 tables...i will get a call with pp or and ace for one more bet.

again i appologize for posting out of my realm here
Old 07-12-2004, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
based on the way the guy played the hand, i would strongly suspect he would call a river raise (and so would most people)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you would raise here? I think thats nuts!
He calls pf, aggressive on Q high flop, gets passive when raised, calls turn bet and then comes to life when the Q hits..... I think the chances He will call with a worse hand relative to the times I get 3 bet favor a simple call down
Old 07-12-2004, 04:00 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i'm responding to back up nopepper. if you had raised, i'm sure this guy would have called, and it would have been the correct play based on what he held but whether or not it's correct in general depends on how often he'd play a hand other than a queen like this.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:04 PM

Order Theory of Poker.

re: hand. I wait for the turn to raise.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:06 PM

astro..thanks for the back up..i have been getting killed out here