Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: What after SSH ?

[ QUOTE ]
SSH, then SSH, and after that SSH. If you get sick of SSH, pick up a copy of SSH instead. NA MEAN?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent advice. This book never leaves my bathroom. I reread sections or even couple quizz questions daily. Only thing, amidst this, I have read the other 2+2 books. Most of them before I was ready and before SSH came out. I go back to them on a regular basis.

But the one I continue to go back to, often for a certain topic, is TOP. My 8 year old nephew could READ the book, but I have read it 2x and use it for reference and am just beginning to truly digest some of the deeper understanding (long way to go , i'm sure, but you don't know til you get there)

And then learning it well enough that it actually helps you in the heat of battle. Poker is one of the hardest, most challenging, most wonderful things I have ever studied. I love it.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:44 PM

theory of poker - D.Sklansky
sklansky on poker - D.Sklansky
Real Poker II the play of the hands - R. Cooke
( a vastly underrated work)

"stop playing cards and start playing poker" B. Tannenbaum

Play Well and Prosper

timmer
Old 12-11-2005, 10:58 PM

Ed Miller responds to this question in this post.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:22 AM

Why move off UB then? And where to?

Thanks

Peter
Old 12-12-2005, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why move off UB then? And where to?

Thanks

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never played UB before but the games at Party poker are famous for their softness at higher than micro-limits. You'll be glad you moved when someone calls you down with 3 high.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:01 AM

FWIW, here's how I would approach it:

Read it again. Play a bunch using Poker Tracker so you can replay your hands after and see where you made mistakes. Then reread for a third time take notes on your play.

Don't be in a hurry to move on to a new book. Master what is in SSHE before moving on, especially is you are staying at micro-limits. Moving on to Holdem for Advanced Players may actually hurt you at this point as many concepts in that text do not readily apply to play at micro-limits.

There is a big difference between understanding something when you are reading it and *applying* that knowledge in situations at the table.

Good luck!

SP
Old 12-12-2005, 12:31 PM

i also like yoas book and inside the poker mind. poker essays by sklansky are good too. Basically whatever you can get your hands on that has some value and post and enjoy the ride. Particularly the downswings.