Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability

Old 12-11-2005, 04:52 AM

Default quick easy question about SD and BR

i know you can find the correct BR given your standard deviation in limit, similiar to how malmuth described in his poker essays. but is this possible to do in no limit? if my SD over 20k hands is 45PTbb/100 and i'm starting over with a new bankroll (given that i want to play at the same stakes), how many buyins should i have? what about if it was 15PTbb/100?

thanks

i just spend 20 minutes searching and couldnt find the answer i'm looking for, btw.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Re: quick easy question about SD and BR

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but i's mentioned in the FAQ what is a sufficient bankroll for each limit.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:59 AM

yes, i've looked in the FAQ.

let me try again:

i'm trying to put together a BR for playing. i know my standard deviation is lower than average, so I think it is possible for me to start with a BR lower than average. i was wondering if there was any math that could be done where i could find exactly what i need.(similiar to how they calculate BR requirements given a SD in limit holdem)
Old 12-11-2005, 05:02 AM

In that case, your post would probably be best answered in Probability because that's where you'd find people who'd best be able to answer your question. I'll move your post over there.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:24 AM

Bankroll requirements depend on standard deviation, not limit structure directly. The published results for limit structures are based on averages. Since you feel your standard deviation is below average, those aren't valid for you.

If you keep track of your standard deviation and have played enough to make it reliable (and are consistent enough to make it reliable) you can do the calculation yourself. If not, you could just estimate that your standard deviation is some amount less than average, say 15%. In that case, your bankroll requirement is 15% less.