Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-19-2005, 12:28 PM

Default My KQo got capped

Villain in this hand is starting to get a little aggro preflop. He seems to do this when his stack gets small. Postflop, he's been keeping the pressure on and hasn't been forced to show down his hand very much.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...
Old 11-19-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: My KQo got capped

I don't like the 3-bet here out of the small blind. However, when the flop comes, you're only behind KK, AA, and AK of villain's likely hands. I think you could bet the flop. Once the flop checks through, I think you should definitely bet the turn. If you're behind, you're behind, but I don't think so. I think his A-big or suited paint missed.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:45 PM

Sometimes when a PFR checks it means he has flop a monster, but here KK is too unlikely. He could have QQ or JJ and be trying to get too showdown for cheap. Maybe he want's to avoid going broke in this hand.

For some reason, AK or AA just doesn't feel right with that flop check.

I think I bet and call down if raised. It's too risky to fold TPGK on this board vs someone who could be steaming or at least is playing somewhat desperately. You only need to be good about 20% by the river to justify a call down.

I am not sure if it is correct to worry about him checking behind and wanting to get to showdown cheaply. I got the impression that he would want to check behind with weaker pairs, but call down if we bet.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:49 PM

I like the flop check. Once he checks the flop I think we need to bet here and call down if raised.

Letting him check behind on the turn with Ax would make me shudder. Plus he would expect you to bet with anything on this turn.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:50 PM

bet/call the turn, check/call the river or
bet turn bet/call river depending on what villain does (you're obviously not folding)

I like preflop, and I'm assuming you're check/raising the flop here so I like that too

calling in the SB is bad - hardly ever do it (3-bet or fold)

nh sir
Old 11-19-2005, 12:57 PM

i disagree. you have to 3bet out of the small blind to ruin BBs odds and discourage him from coming along.

aaron calls, bb is getting 5 to 1
aaron raises, bb is getting 6 to 2 AND is sandwiched between two aggressors.

when mp raised he didn't have to have the kind of hand that an UTG player would raise with, and KQ is ahead of his range, especially if he's been aggro lately.

When he capped, it could have been with a real hand, or as a defence mechanism. Over in ss land, they often talk about regaining control of the hand pf by capping a three bettor so that thier opponents will play more straighforwardly.

I'm assuming that you were going for the c/r on the flop?

if villain raised with a non-premium broadway starting hand (like ATo, QJ, etc) or a med pp, this is the perfect board for him to take a free card. I think AK/KQ bets/calls here to protect, and goes to war on the turn.

The fps in me says that if he likes aggression and has missed, you may want to take another stab at that checkraise. by checking again on the turn you'll convince him that you fear the K on the board, and if he can pounce with any two.

I guess a more straighforward approach is to bet/threebet and either check/call or bet/fold the river depending on the action.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:04 PM

were we trying to c/r that flop? I figured we were going to use wa/wb here.

that being said, think c/c, bet might work better here (to finish off wa/wb). there are a wide range of hands he might bluff here, and I don't think there are a lot of hands he will call down with that we beat (QQ-JJ are all that seem really reasonable). I hate to give a free card to Ax here, but think we get more value by getting him to stab at the pot

[edit] I like pf a lot, just to get that out there
Old 11-19-2005, 02:36 PM

I like bet/fold here. Here's either got a monster, or is trying to get to SD with a hand like 99-QQ,AQ, or AJ. It will be pretty obvious which he has on his turn action.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:44 PM

I froze up after he checked the flop. My mind instantly got captivated by the thought of running into AK and I continued with the check-call mentality. Villain was kind enough to bet the turn and river for me, so I still won a fair amount. But a better line is to bet the turn and bet the river (unless I get raised, in which case I check-call the river).

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qd Kc (two pair, kings and fours).
MP has 6h Kh (two pair, kings and fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 8.50 BB. </font>
Old 11-19-2005, 06:53 PM

This looks like the perfect spot for a turn or river CR (probably river for max value) if the villain is aggro post-flop. There's almost no way the villain is checking through a hand that beats you on that flop especially at 5-max 1/2 and I think you're way ahead most of the time.

Probably FPS though, your line of betting the turn and river is probably better.