Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Player of the year points concept

since everybody lately is complaining about the fields being so large to the big events now, i did some thinking. Say you take the top 100 in the player of the year points and put them in a tournament and give that a bracelet.

most of the qualified players, and expert tournament players are buying into these tournaments ahead of time so theyre getting in enough chances to accumulate points. It will be a restricted tournament to only the top certain %.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Player of the year points concept

The Tournament of Champions is *sort of* like this -- except in the TOC they also randomly add people that steal equity, decrease exposure, and overall make the experience less EV than it should be.

Sorry. Did mean to open up THAT can again.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 12-19-2005, 05:08 PM

yeah i read all about the players being angry about this.. but i would imagine trying to do something like this would work and they would use that as an example as of what not to do.

not only that but it could be at the end of the TV series.. so all those little kiddies watching at home become familiar with the new and old names from that season and will be wanting to see them all play against eachother.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Tournament of Champions is *sort of* like this -- except in the TOC they also randomly add people that steal equity, increase exposure dramatically and make for what should be one of the most interesting final tables we've ever seen on TV , and overall make the experience less EV than it should be.

Sorry. Did mean to open up THAT can again.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a fan of the TOC move, either, but it's hard to argue against this.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:27 PM

I think it would be nice to see a tourney like OP suggested, consisting of players who have consistenly done well and made multiple final tables, rather than this year's TOC in which the participants only had to make one final table in selected events (along with the three equity-stealers).
Old 12-19-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not a fan of the TOC move, either, but it's hard to argue against this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks they would get more exposure at the TOC due to Phil Hellmuth being there has no concept of what TV poker has become.

And if I'm playing in the event, I'm not particularly caring about getting "interesting" final tables, especially if that "interesting" isn't my brand of "interesting."

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 12-19-2005, 11:20 PM

I would like this to occur but for all the people to accept their invitation by putting up $50,000. Hold it at the Bellagio, using the great WPT structure, but keep that structure for the final table. It'll be open to the top 200, if they want to ante up.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be nice to see a tourney like OP suggested, consisting of players who have consistenly done well and made multiple final tables, rather than this year's TOC in which the participants only had to make one final table in selected events (along with the three equity-stealers).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the format we'll see eventually for the TOC event which holds the most legitamacy with the pros. When more leauges such as the EPT and WPT are in place, it will be much easier to keep track of performancs on a "professional circuit" and come up with ratings with a more unified system than the one currently used, say, at CardPlayer for their player of year. (Those rules are kind of geared toward volume not quality)
Old 12-20-2005, 05:19 PM

Why don't you just find a sponsor, invite YOUR top 100 players. Tell the complainers who were omitted from your list to try harder next year to earn your respect. Or have a selection committee similar to NCAA.

This is not directed at you specifically Bill, but to anyone who has the inclination and wherewithall to accomplish something like this.