Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: MHNL Heads-Up Invitational I - Registration

Everyone holding money till the end won't work. There will be no sense of urgency to play the matches if you haven't paid for the tournament yet.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone holding money till the end won't work. There will be no sense of urgency to play the matches if you haven't paid for the tournament yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This can be addressed by making a rule that if you don't play by a certain date, your $1500 gets forfeited.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This can be addressed by making a rule that if you don't play by a certain date, your $1500 gets forfeited.

[/ QUOTE ]Well I think some people might have a hard time paying $1500 if they didn't even play in the tournament. Just easier for everyone to wire 1500 to some people first imo
Old 11-28-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Well I think some people might have a hard time paying $1500 if they didn't even play in the tournament. Just easier for everyone to wire 1500 to some people first imo

[/ QUOTE ]

true, a lot of people are bitches.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
true, a lot of people are bitches.

[/ QUOTE ]

and, as we're not pimps, we have to collect money from the bitches up front.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:15 PM

i realized that entrusting someone with money would be the biggest hurdle in getting this thing off and running smoothly.

i had hoped that after a number of well-known and respected posters had registered, everyone else would trust as well and things would get going. clearly not the case.

i had just assumed people had the same view as i do with trust on an issue like this: that being i would trust a ton of different posters on this forum with my money, but in the event of getting shafted i would F their world up.

clearly things not going to be as smooth as i hoped, so i welcome anyone else to run things in any matter they see appropriate.

good luck, and i hope someone or group gets this running.

as an aside if anyone wants a quick working HU on ultimateBet .25-.50NL i am sitting at table Toluca. free lessons donkeys.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:52 PM

1) i have to agree that the no rebuys til you're at 0 is not good. i don't think that someone who busts should be allowed to double rebuy to cover, but i think that not allowing a player to top off to a full buyin really does make this a lot more heads up sng-ish than desired.

2) i think that escrowing the money with several high end parties (and personally, i'd think that having all players, not just unknowns, have to escrow their buyins is fair and not exactly asking a whole lot as it takes seconds to make a transfer) is better than escrowing to 1 person or to 0 people. i think that the only way to do 0 escrows is to have this be a closed set tournament that only a few people can play, and that clearly kills a lot of the fun of it.

3) i don't know exactly what's going on with your prize idea. the original post by KKF was basically a bracket where at each step you come in with 3k. say that you chop this down to 1500, which is fine and reasonable, as is surrogate playing at lower stakes. the prize pool as you have it set up means that you have to win 2 rounds to cash, and that when you cash you don't even get a half buyin back. that's markedly different than the original proposal, where all people who win one round win money. not necessarilly horrible or anything, but yeah. with kkf's plan, a 32 player tournament would pay out like this (disregarding trophy fees):

16-9th: 1500
8th-5th: 3000
4th-3rd: 4500
2nd: 6000
1st 7500

this is clearly less exciting looking than your proposal, and less "tournament payout structure"ish, but i think that if you're going to have it be 2 rounds to get to the money, you should at least get your full buyin back when you get to the round of 8. just a thought. for instance you could make a 32 man tournament with a payout like this:

8th-5th: 2,000
4th: 5,000
3rd: 7,000
2nd: 10,000
1st: 18,000

4) i like the concept of having the last 3 matches have more bbs involved. that's cool.

5) i think that the invitational idea is cool, but that if you have a quick 64 people show up wanting to play you should consider making it a bigger tournament.

i'm sure there's other things i wanted to say in relation to replies that i've forgotten for now.

finally, i like the idea that this could be a semi-regularish kinda affair, and that this one should have a non-huge buyin as kinks are worked out of the system.

ps: if you want me to set all this stuff up, and people want to pay me $50 a head to cover an entrance, i'd do it in a heartbeat. hell, if everyone paid $50 to cover my buyin, i'd hook up the slickass trophy out of pocket.

citanul
Old 11-28-2005, 01:16 PM

im in. and agree with diablo on all the points in this thread.

if you want a few escrow guys, i could be one of them.

chuddo-

thanks for setting this all up.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:52 PM

No need to get mad chuddo, the requests for different escrow are all reasonable and just business. In this game, friends sometimes don't pay you back, so why would anyone trust someone they do not know?

Any reason you can't run the tournament / trophy and have someone else handle escrow?

Also, fyi to everyone else, I do not want to hold the money. It is a simple matter to send to a lawyer though. Or if Diablo will do it that's easiest.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:00 PM

Just let Diablo do it. If he f's with us it shouldn't be too hard to track him down. I hear he's usually in LA, NYC, or London.