Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: \"Rocky Balboa\" (Rocky VI is being made)

[ QUOTE ]
Stupid trivia time: Heavyweight fighter Ken Norton Sr. was originally set to play Apollo Creed in Rocky...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very interesting. I never knew that. He was my favorite heavyweight when I was a kid. That fight where he broke Ali's jaw was amazing.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:10 PM

Yeah, Norton and Ali had some wars, man. Fantastic fights. Ali always had serious trouble w/ Kenny's style.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:13 PM

This is absolutely correct...I think Jones could potentially nail this part.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so who's going to play mason "the line" dixon? the rock? vin diesel?

the rocky series is one of my favorites, hell i wrote an english final on it in college...i just have a bad feeling they are going to screw this up. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we're more likely to get a relatively unknown actor than we are to get anybody you named or Roy Jones, Jr. Carl Weathers wasn't all that well known when he did the original, and he's still not all that well known now, despite his appearances in Happy Gilmore and Arrested Development. I think the movie would be better off with a face we don't know as the "villain".

For anybody who is saying that they were going to screw this up, it was arguably screwed up the minute they decided to do the first sequel, let alone the sequel where he defeats Communism, and the fifth one. Another sequel can't make things any worse at this point. I think this LAST one is going to be really good.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so who's going to play mason "the line" dixon? the rock? vin diesel?

the rocky series is one of my favorites, hell i wrote an english final on it in college...i just have a bad feeling they are going to screw this up. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we're more likely to get a relatively unknown actor than we are to get anybody you named or Roy Jones, Jr. Carl Weathers wasn't all that well known when he did the original, and he's still not all that well known now, despite his appearances in Happy Gilmore and Arrested Development. I think the movie would be better off with a face we don't know as the "villain".

For anybody who is saying that they were going to screw this up, it was arguably screwed up the minute they decided to do the first sequel, let alone the sequel where he defeats Communism, and the fifth one. Another sequel can't make things any worse at this point. I think this LAST one is going to be really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the first Rocky was made on a budget of 1 million dollars, and it was necessary to use unknowns (and relatives and close friends) due to the money. I imagine there will be a few dollars more involved in this, plus the notiriety of being in a Rocky movie. I don't think it matters who the actor is, if Stallone can write a good script the movie will probably be good.

Oh, and I don't see how you can say Weathers isn't well known now, after the blockbuster hit "Action Jackson."
Old 10-18-2005, 12:45 PM

One other thing...

At least Adrian is apparently dead in this one, and we won't have her screaming at him about how he can't fight anymore. At least that's what I gather from the story above. Talia Shire will only be around to play her in flashbacks.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:48 PM

Works for me. I can see Rocky trying to bond with his son (perhaps alienated after Adrian's death?) serving as the emotional center of the story in lieu of Adrian's presence.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:50 PM

i think this film will need less of the kid as well...unless his son has become a better actor since then.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One other thing...

At least Adrian is apparently dead in this one, and we won't have her screaming at him about how he can't fight anymore. At least that's what I gather from the story above. Talia Shire will only be around to play her in flashbacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of a disappointment. Isn't the highlight of every Rocky since the first the part where Adrian says, "You can't win!"

Biggest wet-blanket movie wife ever. If Rocky went to the store for eggs, she'd be like, "You know the car will break down, or you'll have no money, or the eggs will break, and then what? Then what? Then we're alone with nothing, no eggs. You can't win!"
Old 10-18-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think this film will need less of the kid as well...unless his son has become a better actor since then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. For being an actual father/son team, they had absolutely no chemistry at all in that movie.