Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: PUSH OR FOLD???
POOOOSH!! 100 69.93%
FOOOOLD!!! 43 30.07%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Who\'s The Best Live Rock Band In The World Right Now?

[ QUOTE ]
Calling Jimmy Buffet "rock" is a stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it's a great show.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:27 PM

Tool.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i just want to state right now that anyone who votes for u2 should seriously consider...uh...attending some different concerts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should try attending a U2 concert.

I get that some (many) people don't like them... I get that some (many) people are into the SUPER DUPER WAY KOOL ONLY THE SOPHISTICATED TRUELY GET IT bands and music, but suggesting U2 suck live probably says more about your judgement then anything else... but I could be wrong...

Best Concert I've seen was U2 - Elavation Live 2001 - Hamilton, Ontario (and it's not even close)

[/ QUOTE ]

when did i say (or "suggest") that u2 sucks live? i am just saying that they're clearly not THE best in the world right now. there's a huge difference between saying that and saying that they "suck live." your post says more about your reading comprehension than anything else...but i could be wrong...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, U2 definitely doesn't suck. They're also definitely not the best live rock band in the world right now. Playing nearly the exact same setlist and saying nearly the exact same things to the audience every night is pretty lame when you have as huge of a catalog to work with as they do.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:28 PM

I don't get to a ton of shows, but I imagine there are many better live performers out there...

Metallica is fun live... Ozzie was good... SOTD was suprising awesome and Tool has to be the best I've seen.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost put them on the list. The tour they put on for Lateralus was excellent.

I also almost put on Nine Inch Nails, but from what I've seen, they're more about lighting effects than they are about the music.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:30 PM

I voted U2. While I've never seen them live in person, I really enjoy several of their live songs. I don't care if they're mainstream. I don't care if every teenage girl in this country listens to them. I don't care if their guitar riffs are uncomplicated. I don't care that they aren't "underground" or "on the cutting edge of music." I don't care if liking them makes me not cool.

I like their music and I have since grade school, it's just that simple.

That said, I probably wouldn't pay to see them live. At this point, I think they're just too much a moneymaking machine to really do anything exciting. I'm not much of a concert guy though anyway. I'd rather sit in my room completely stoned and listen to a CD.

AIC live was probably [censored] sweet live too, but I never got the chance. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

And I'm secretly hoping Petty in the gorge is gonna be my new favorite concert evar.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:31 PM

fwiw i am tempted to say that as far as "rock" bands NOW, that i've seen live, polyphonic spree is way near the top of the list for me. i might think of another that's better, but for now polyphonic spree is the best that comes to mind.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:31 PM

You are the definition of a music tool.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i just want to state right now that anyone who votes for u2 should seriously consider...uh...attending some different concerts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should try attending a U2 concert.

I get that some (many) people don't like them... I get that some (many) people are into the SUPER DUPER WAY KOOL ONLY THE SOPHISTICATED TRUELY GET IT bands and music, but suggesting U2 suck live probably says more about your judgement then anything else... but I could be wrong...

Best Concert I've seen was U2 - Elavation Live 2001 - Hamilton, Ontario (and it's not even close)

[/ QUOTE ]

when did i say (or "suggest") that u2 sucks live? i am just saying that they're clearly not THE best in the world right now. there's a huge difference between saying that and saying that they "suck live." your post says more about your reading comprehension than anything else...but i could be wrong...

[/ QUOTE ]

well then your post contained a different tone than you might have intended.

it's a reasonable inference based on your wording...

someone who says

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is more likely implying U2 sucks live

then U2 is a great live band but there are some new bands out there that are awesome live
Old 08-01-2005, 05:34 PM

Elvis Costello puts on an amazing live show. He doesn't have it this go-round, but he used to have this wheel on stage where audience-members would go up and spin it and it would click to a song of his. Then they would tell him what style to play it in, reggae for example and he would do it on the spot. A truly incredible musician.

He has Emmylou Harris on tour with him this time. She's pretty phenomenal too.

Oh and he has a hot (and talented) wife.