Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Isn\'t the Bible anti-gambling?

[ QUOTE ]
Numbers 26:52-56: "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying ... the land shall be divided by lot."

Joshua 18:6: "Ye shall therefore describe the land into seven parts, and bring the description hither to me, that I may cast lots for you here before the LORD our God."

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen these two quotes used before to somehow provide a biblical endorsement for gambling, yet in no way are either of these two gambling. They are simply ways of assigning who gets what. For it to be gambling, there would have to be a loser, and in these two cases, there simply isn't one.

As for the third quote:

[ QUOTE ]
Acts 1:23-26: "And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen.... And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles."

[/ QUOTE ]

This, to answer David, is clearly where God does know the outcome. No gambling here either, because the outcome is predetermined and the casting of lots is simply a way of showing God's choice.

And finally, if an audience full of Jews can enjoy "The Producers", then Daniel can clearly get over Jesus and the Unabomber.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: negreanu religious view?

No, I think that most Christians would consider this ignorance rather than disrespect (as I doubt the Jewish publication put him at #6 simply to piss of Christians. Or maybe...)
Old 06-20-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That is so childish... There are millions of things in the world which might offend someone if they chose to get offended by it...

[/ QUOTE ]

not much
If you knew someone who was killed or maimed by the Unabomber, wouldn't you be offended that a poker player was cheered on by that name? I sure would.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-20-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Freddy "The Terrorist" Deeb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cracked up for like 10 min straight after I saw this one.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:38 PM

After skimming this thread, I can safely assume DN posts stuff like that just to set off the 2+2 psychos and cause long and boring debates in the WPT forum.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:53 PM

Does anyone know what list this is referring to - That list is defintely not accurate. As for Barry, he is a devoted atheist as is Chris Ferguson. Although Chris is an atheist he signs autographs by adding in quotes "Jesus."
Old 06-21-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But its disrespectful and blastphimus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im curious if Danny N. or anyone else who has said that using the nickname Jesus is in bad taste, offensive, etc. have ever used the phrase "Holy Cow."

That phrase originated as a way to mock Buddhists(or hindus, can't remember which), because of their belief that Cows are sacred creatures. I would almost say that using "holy cow" is worse that calling Chris "Jesus" as that is a benign nickname that is used soley due to his resemblence to the popular depiction of Jesus, whereas "holy cow" has a malicious history behind it.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:54 AM

"When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son."

Hi Everyone:

That's a quote from Hosea (which is a book in the Old Testament): Chapter 11:1. If Daniel understood the significance of this quote, I suspect he would be more tolerant of Ferguson's nickname.

I'll let others elaborate.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 06-21-2005, 04:18 AM

Default Re: Isn\'t the Bible anti-gambling?

[ QUOTE ]

What's great is that that quote says nothing whatsoever specific to gambling. Just another example of how the interpretation of religious texts is often highly dependent on the views of the interpreter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very True^^^

PS. Christians are not anti-gambling.
There are some divisions such as BAPTIST who are against gambling and drinking yet I frequently see them indulging! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

... I was not aware that Greenstein was atheist. He seemed like a faithful person. oh well
Also someone mentioned that they were devout atheists. How can someone be devout at a belief in nothing? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] You are either atheist or not... right?
Old 06-21-2005, 05:26 AM

You don't see how this has anything to do with his acceptnace of the nickname? He may have not made the name up. But he is not discouraging the nickname, and makes money off of the name. I think the wpt are the ones that should have stepped in and told both players we are not gpoing to call or mention your nicknames on tv.

Nobody should be comparing themselves or anybody else to jesus. And i never said chris was making this comparison. I said his fans and announcers were. In a joking way but still inappropriately in some peoples opinion.