Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-12-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Chinese food

Misleading title...as I of course know that not all "asian food" is chinese food, appearently all the chinese places around here are vietnemese. Anyways....I rarely eat this type of food, and think Im going to go get some for lunch. Could you guys please list your favs, what type (viet, thai, chinese etc), and whats in it, so I can make an educated non-last minute decision? I really like shrimp fried rice, and the battered shrimp, so something along those lines would be great. I really wish I was more knowledgeable about this stuff, but growing up in hicksville (st. louis) makes it tough to find good stuff.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Chinese food

Which Chinese places are you considering going to in StL?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which Chinese places are you considering going to in StL?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure, I went to the King and I over the weekend, got hammered, and loved it, so I have a craving for more. I would like to try somewhere new though. Theres a lot of places around me. I live right near Ted Drewes on Chippewa.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:58 PM

vietnamese places you can't go wrong with pho which is a beef noodle soup, I'm not a soup fan in general but this stuff is awesome, it is usually the staple.

i'm also a big fan of vermicilli dishes, usually with beef or pork and yummy vegetables/sprouts and maybe a spring roll if you're feeling fiesty. dump that fish sauce on there that [censored] is the bizzle.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:59 PM

Try Manee Thai in Ballwin. The curry dishes are very good. I always liked the red curry best there.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:01 PM

Viet get the river vermicilli salads. Chinese cuisine is usually all Cantonese stuff, bleh, why don't you just walk in and ask them what's good, there's hundreds of dishes, just try something random.

Fish head hot pot is awesome, but you are from hicksville so i'll presume fish heads are too exotic. Infact all the good stuff I'm guessing you are scared from, pork intestines, chicken feet, chicken intestine, chicken hearts, pork ears, tongues. These are all great southern china dishes which taste [censored] great if you are open minded. Most offle dishes are good actually.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:02 PM

I recommend the cream of sumyungai.

I have always wanted to order something other than the pupu platter (sp?) at a chinese restaurant. I'd like to see what kind of recommendations you guys have here.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Viet get the river vermicilli salads. Chinese cuisine is usually all Cantonese stuff, bleh, why don't you just walk in and ask them what's good, there's hundreds of dishes, just try something random.

Fish head hot pot is awesome, but you are from hicksville so i'll presume fish heads are too exotic. Infact all the good stuff I'm guessing you are scared from, pork intestines, chicken feet, chicken intestine, chicken hearts, pork ears, tongues. These are all great southern china dishes which taste [censored] great if you are open minded. Most offle dishes are good actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not scared of eating it, I just wont be able to find it. Hell, my dad used to put pigs feet, in his pasta sauce for flavor.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recommend the cream of sumyungai.

I have always wanted to order something other than the pupu platter (sp?) at a chinese restaurant. I'd like to see what kind of recommendations you guys have here.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the place I went to over the weekend, they had a pupu platter and a bobo platter....fun times there.

What is a spring roll? Is that the roll that is rolled in a clear rice paper? I had one of those, they were awesome.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:57 PM

Spring roll: Rice paper, shrimp, pork belly, lettuce, mint, bean sprout. Usually dipped in peanut & hoisin sauce. Or prepared fish sauce

Egg roll: Deep fried. Stuff with ground pork, vermicelly, woods ear, and some flavoring. Usually dipped in prepared fish sauce.

Cant go wrong with a bowl of Pho:

Edit: I'll try to find pictures of vermicelli and grilled pork stuff when I get back from eye exam.