Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Top pair on a scary board

both opponents here are LA-P. about 50%/10%/.7

Anyone have a good line to take?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero...? Is this an easy check fold and I'm thinking about it too much?

-WT
Old 06-10-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Top pair on a scary board

There's a fair number of hands we are ahead of (lone clubs, single pairs which, given their high VPIP is no means a given that if they have a J, say, they have to have JT or J9 or something connected. No reason they can't have T7 or Q6s). We also have a 3-out redraw to beat a straight (2 outs if someone has a non-club K). So I can't say I am sure we are behind yet, even against two opponents, but I am not in love with my hand and the pot is small.

However, given their passive nature, I think I bet the turn. My reason being they're passive, so I might not get raised by a straight (at least a low one) for fear of a higher straight, a flush, or what have you, people are weird sometimes. Same deal with two pair, which we have more outs to beat and which has a high probability of just calling. This just calling thing is nice because we have some outs against anything but a flush, so we'd like to see the river cheaply. But I also like betting because I am good here a decent portion of the time and single clubs will pay on the turn but not the river if they miss.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Top pair on a scary board

i'd bet/fold here.

that board is as scary to your opponents as it to you. i'd think a turn bet would take it down here at least the 18% of the time you need to show a profit.