Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2005, 02:34 AM

Default 2 pair faces aggression...how\'s my line?

No reads on villian as he is new to the table. I have been playing pretty tight, only showing down big hands. I hate the size of my turn donk bet...I didn't want to lose everyone blah, blah, blah...it was bad, I know. As played, how is my line on the rest of the turn and river. All commeents appreciated. Happy holidays to all.

Pokerroom NL 200 10 handed. Relative stack sizes:

Seat 0: Hero ($190 in chips)
Seat 1: Villian ($220 in chips)
Seat 3: MP ($323.15 in chips)
Seat 9: SB ($183 in chips)

*** Blind Bet Round *** :

Dealt to Hero: Ac Qd
SB : Post Blind ($1)
Hero : Post Blind ($2)

*** Pre-Flop *** :

Villian : Call ($2)
MP : Call ($2)
SB: Call ($1)
dougfood27 : Check

*** Flop *** : 5c Kd Qh Pot ($8)

SB : Check
Hero : Bet ($6)
Villian : Call ($6)
MP : Fold
SB: Fold

*** Turn *** : [ 5c Kd Qh ] Ah Pot ($22)

Hero : Bet ($8)
Villian: Raise ($28)
Hero : Call ($20)

*** River *** : [ 5c Kd Qh Ah ] 9c Pot ($78)

Hero : Bet ($45)
Villian: Raise all - in ($184)
Hero : Fold
Old 12-25-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: 2 pair faces aggression...how\'s my line?

Alright, well you already know that turn bet sucks. It tells you nothing about villains hand. With that display of weakness, if he's aggressive he's equally likely to have picked up something like a heart draw as he is to have a straight, since he may think he can push you off the hand.

As you played it though, I dont like to three bet there. The river isnt a bad card. nothing changes since if he had JT he had the nut straight already anyhow. I dont like leading out though. You're probably not going to get called by much of a worse hand unless you bet a decent amount less than the pot, but this could open you up to getting blown off the hand since at this point you really dont look strong at all.

I think a check, call reasonable bet is a better line on the river. You may induce a bluff if he was indeed on a draw. Even if he wasnt, if he bets and it costs you 50 bucks, at least this time you get to see the showdown.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:38 AM

Thanks for the repsonse.

Yes, no arguement for my turn bet...gross.

In your opinion, why do you feel this a better spot to check/call as opposed to leading out with a blocking bet and folding to a raise? My thinking was that if I check (and show weakness again), I leave myself open to being bluffed.

Given the line you suggest, what size bet on the river should I be calling?
Old 12-25-2005, 04:18 AM

I agree with Scubba, upon reflection I'm sure you feel the same way, you already realize the turn bet was insufficient, probably realized it by the time you had to place your river bet which is why you went to $45, here is where checking would be excellent and almost might help you turn a previously poorly played hand into a winner, if the opponent is seduced to bluff.

I like that you did not get crazy and call the all in, my gut tells me he had pocket 5's, so I don't think you wanted to lose the rest of your stack to see those.

takes Scubba's advice next time and check on the river, than call a reasonable bet if you are forced to. Never bet the river when you don't feel it will make you money. Inferior hands will fold, while dominant hands will call or reraise.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:38 AM

dregal, let me explain why

Say I had K,Q and I'm the opponent, if you make a small bet on the turn, when you check on the river I'm going to think your hand is fairly weak. I will not want to just check and give you a showdown for free. I feel I have the best hand and I will want to make a value bet since you called my raise on the turn, however I will not want to bet too much and get you to fold quickly, by checking on the river you will make me fearful that you will fold to anything but a small bet.

This is why you should check, because than you will see the $45 bet that you made on the river only you'll get to find out if you win the pot or not with that bet,
Old 12-26-2005, 12:44 AM

I agree with your point. Most worse hands are going to flod, and all better hands are going to call/re-raise. This is obviously the opposite of our goal in any given hand. My thought was that if my bet on the river was rasied, I would feel comfortable that I was beat, and be able to fold without any hesitation. Looking back, the turn is obvioulsy the correct place for me to get this info by making a bigger bet.

That being said, what is a more appropiate scenario to throw out a blocking bet on the river? I know that is a very broad question, but any advice would be apreciated as this is something I am still looking to plug into my game. Thanks.