Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Dentist: trip report

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3) I have a small flap that connects from my upper lip junst under my nose to my gums. I think he capped it a Pharyngeal Flap, but I could definately be wrong as what I'm finding on google doesn't seem to match what I have. He suggested that I have this removed. Seriously, I thought EVERYONE HAD ONE OF THESE?!?!? I had NO idea that not everyone had one, I have one so I just ASSUMED everyone did. wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this. It is small. It causes me no problem whatsoever. My father is a dentist. Never has he mentioned anything about this. Don't get procedures just for the sake of procedures. What is the possible justification to "fixing" this?

[/ QUOTE ]

He said something about it pulling on the gums. I may have misunderstood what he was referring to, but what in the world else could he have been talking about?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:02 PM

Unless you have a problem with how your teeth look (you already have a wife so she must be okay with it) forgo the braces.

As for the wisdom teeth, I think it is a crap shoot. You probably have a 50/50 shot of never having a problem, but if one of those flairs up you will wish you had them removed, so go with what you are comfortable with. I had all four of mine out at age 27. Do it on a Thursday, take a sick day on Friday and you are back to work on Monday.

As an added bonus, most docs will give you a lot of painkillers which you stash away for future needs.

My wife got one of those mouth guards because she was grinding her teeth (I sleep like a rock). She feels better wearing it, so again I think this is a what are you comfortable with. I probably forgo this one.

To summarize:
1) Man up and get it done
2) Skip it
3) No idea WTF this is
4) Let your wife decide
Old 10-14-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4) Braces. My parents didn't love me enough to get these, should I get them now at age 28? I have some dental insurance, but I'm sure this would still cost me some serious $$$. I know this is a useless question without pics, so I'll post one later tonight when I get home from work.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's highly unlikely that insurance will cover anything, and even if it does it'll probably only be $1-1.5k. We just paid for my daughter's orthodonture a few weeks ago, and it came to $6k all-in.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:16 PM

Dental student giving unqualified advice:

Not sure why he recommended removing your buccal frenum unless it effects your speech or esthetics. Ortho is probably more trouble than its worth unless youre really really want your teeth to be straight. A night guard is probably a good investment. I just got mine today.

Grinding your teeth is bad for a lot of reasons some obv , some not so obv. It can be linked to headaches, muscle soreness, poor sleep etc. ALso, the trauma to your teeth is not good, can cause tooth mobility and can complicate many other conditions (perio disease).

Lots of people opt to keep the space b/w their front incisors as it gives them 'character'...otherwise maybe look into non orthodontic solutions (bonded composites to close the diastema).

-JP