Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 03:08 AM

Default How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (LC?)

...or, how Party splitting from it's skins made me a better poker player.

I had been 3 tabling 3/6 6max ( at around 1.7/100) when the Party split occured, and even afterwards figured that rakeback was SO much money that playing on the skins with it had to be more profitable than playing on the mothership w/o it. I started a new PT database to see how much of a difference the split would make. While the tables were WAY more agressive than before, especially preflop, postflop the players still seemed pretty awful. As you can see, I had no idea how to deal with the preflop agression. My "old" plan involved more preflop limping than most 2+2ers recommend, and I'd repeated get isolated, often by hands not really better than what I was limping, but without inititive & position, I obviously got smoked. I got frustrated and tried to out-agro the maniacs. I tried a bunch of things, and they were all awful. Eventually however, as you can see, I figured out a winning plan that involves being more agressive, yet punishing the true maniacs for their overagression, better table selection, better SEAT selection at a table, not playing so tired when I was stuck (the worst downswings on this graph are ones where I stupidly played way too late) and several other tweaks. I am sure that today I am a MUCH better SH player than I was 1 month ago. All thanks to Party.

Thanks Party Poker! and Enjoy!

jvs