Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 05:26 PM

Default First Hand Advice Post - live 10/20 game

Playing 10/20 live. Button is a good, tricky TAG I have played against before. I would say I have a tight,solid image and he respects my play.

Preflop: Hero is CO with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, MP1 limps, 2 folds, CO(Hero) raises, Button 3-bets, 2 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls

Flop (10.5 sb): J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
MP1 checks, Hero bets, button calls, MP1 calls, button calls

Turn (8 bb): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
MP1 checks, Hero bets, button raises, Hero 3-bets, MP1 folds, button caps, Hero calls

At this point I'm almost sure button has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Ax

River (16 bb): 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero???

Should I lead or go for a C/R? Also does anyone cap pre-flop?
Old 08-23-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: First Hand Advice Post - live 10/20 game

Lead with the intention of 3-betting.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:03 PM

I think you should bet this river. If the paired board scares villain into checking behind, you miss a bet by going for the check-raise. If villain thinks you're going crazy with, say, the K-high flush, he will raise and you can 3-bet.

Because you haven't slowed down yet, he has no particular reason to think the river helped you, so your hand is somewhat disguised. You might well play this the same way with AA/KK/QQ/AJ. But if you check-raise, i can't imagine him 3-betting that.

I think there's something to be said for capping preflop, mostly because you've got open-limper MP1 in there for the ride.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:04 PM

Hi Tom,

The best option is to bet out. Although it would be satisfying to check-raise his ass, don't miss the opportunity to make money. If per chance he has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Kx or even two big [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s and he is astute, he'll check it down. Hope for a raise and then 3-bet of course.

No, I wouldn't cap preflop and not just because he has position. I would seek the chance to bet out and use his raise to drive out the limper, and then reevaluate from there. On the other hand, it may even be safe to fold on the flop also, depending on your read and the flop.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:20 PM

I cap this pre-flop.

The river play is a little tougher, but I think that if he is astute/weak enough to call then he will simply check through on you anyways. If he is strong enough to bet then I think he will raise you.

Also, with the second 6 falling I think he is less likely to be frightened by a full house (he probably won't put you on J6/96/62 here - he could of course put you on JJ or 99).

For these reasons I lead out here.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:06 AM

I would bet, looking for a 3-bet
Old 08-24-2005, 01:58 AM

Definetly bet...

I think it would be pretty easy for him to put you on a set with the amount of action... and with the board pairing he would happily check along with you and go to the showdown.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:28 AM

Yes I would cap PF, and also led the river.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:08 AM

I do not often cap pf oop with JJ. With 3 opponents I do.

Going for a c/r on the river is a mistake. I would say the odds he raises your bet are comparable to the odds he checks it through. Your chances of winning more bets are much better if you lead out.