Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Was I robbed?

My first post.

Was playing 2-4 at the Plaza last night. I'm on the button with Qs9s. Four limpers, I call, small blind folds and big blind checks.

River: Ks 9c 4s.

Big blind bets, middle position calls and I raise. Big blind and middle position call.

Turn: 5d.

Checked to me and I bet. Big blind and middle position call.

River is a 2 of diamonds. It's checked to me and I check. Big blind has 6d 8h, middle position has As Jh. I flip over my cards and say, "I've got a nine."

Then the dealer throws my exposed cards into the muck and starts to push the pot to the middle position guy with ace high. I object. My cards are pulled from the muck, and the card room manager is called over. He says that, because my cards hit the muck, I lose. I tell him that I did not push them into the muck and thqt the dealer did.

Everyone at the table agrees that I had the best hand and announced my nines while exposing my cards. Nevertheless, I'm told that I should not have exposed my cards where the dealer could reach them.

Some of the players at the table agree with the manager, noting that I pitched my cards to the middle of the table. I did this so the middle position guy could see my cards. (We were on opposite sides of the table.)

Im somewhat new to poker, but this cannot be right. What am I missing here?

If I had folded preflop or bet the river, this never would have happened. Maybe I deserved it.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Was I robbed?

Yes. But hold on to your cards when you turn them over. You definitely deserved the pot though.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:37 PM

pot should be yours, the rule is something to the effect of cards that touch the muck MAY be ruled dead.

It should be noted that if you had protected your cards none of this would have happened. Don't pitch your cards forward or anything like that. When you turn your cards over keep fingers on top of them until you see you're beaten or get the pot.

Don't worry, most of us have had the same thing happen before we started obsessively protecting our cards.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:39 PM

you deserved the pot, but this teaches you to always protect your hand. never release your cards until you have been pushed the pot. technically the floor can reverse the rule about cards being in the muck if he feels that the ruling would be contrary to the spirit of the rules, or you in all fairness deserved the pot. apparently he decided to be a d!ck
Old 03-28-2005, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the responses. I learned my lesson. I only pitched them to the middle of the table because the middle position guy was an older gentleman, and I wanted to make sure he saw them. Won't do that again.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:56 PM

I think in most places as long as you threw your cards face-up, you could have said "I lose" while placing them directly on top of the muck pile, and you would still win the pot. As long your cards are face-up, then "cards speak" and its yours.

So yes, I think you were absolutely robbed - the dealer made a mistake, and the floor refused to correct an easily correctable error.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think in most places as long as you threw your cards face-up, you could have said "I lose" while placing them directly on top of the muck pile, and you would still win the pot. As long your cards are face-up, then "cards speak" and its yours.

So yes, I think you were absolutely robbed - the dealer made a mistake, and the floor refused to correct an easily correctable error.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully agree. I thought that the rule was, as long as you table your cards then you get the pot. He tabled the cards and the inept dealer mucked them for him, probably without even looking at them.
I would bitch until I got the pot back and I would *not* tip this dealer for the rest of the night unless he was being truely helpful when the floor was over
Old 03-28-2005, 08:28 PM

Yeah you were robbed.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:12 PM

Did the clown with AJ at least chop it with you? Had it been me in this situation (you clearly showed and called your hand) I would have just given you the pot.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:27 PM

Don't want to simply sound like part of the chorus, but yeah, you got ganked. The fact that the floor didn't give you the pot after the table agreed you showed the nines is just a bad call. No class. If you can, don't go when that floor is on shift.