Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Misplayed my aces, so how\'s this line?

I used to play a lot of MTTs and I am just getting back into them after a long hiatus into STTs. I dont have the hand history available, but I remember most of the relavent details. I had been at the table quite a while in this $30+3 on UB, we are just now in the money (top 20) and villain was recently moved to my table when the bubble burst. I have been in the top 5 of chips for the majority of the tournament and currently am 4th with about 28k. Variety of stacks around the table, but each of the larger stacks is at my table, including the villain who has about 33k. Blinds were at 400/800/100.

I am BB with AsAh. Villain open limps from UTG+1, CO limps (middlish stack) I raise to 4500, Villain calls, CO folds. Pot is just over 11,000. Flop comes 643, 2 diamonds. I led with a pot size bet, he pushes, I call. He flips up 22 and rivers the straight. Ok, bad beat.

But, is there any way I get him off this flop, assuming he puts me on AK (or any overs for that matter). Would going for the c/r be better in this situation, assuming I think he will bet, and clearly defining my hand as one am I willing to go to the felt with? I was thinking about the hand and though maybe check/pushing would have gotten him off the hand, but I'm not sure. And plus, he had to figure I was committed after leaving myself with something like 12k and the pots going to lay me just under 4-1 on a call when he puts me in. I dont know, maybe I'm just frustrated about the beat and played it well, but something tells me I could have played it better...
Old 07-18-2005, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Misplayed my aces, so how\'s this line?

just because you lost the hand doesnt mean you misplayed it, this is played fine. id actually raise a little less preflop and bet around 2/3rds of the pot on the flop, but im always hoping to get all the money in
Old 07-18-2005, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But, is there any way I get him off this flop,

[/ QUOTE ]

And you want to do this...why?
Old 07-18-2005, 07:55 AM

Because he knew what the turn card was ahead of time. duh.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:47 AM

You played it fine, getting your money in more than a 3-1 favorite.

Your opponent thought you probably had 2 overcards, and he had 6 outs if you had an overpair.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:51 AM

You played it fine.. Check and give him a free turn card?

You got the situation you wanted.. Just didn't work out this time. Bad beat.

JMO.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:26 PM

Yea, sorry guys, I obviously made a results oriented post here...I wish I could get all in in this situation more often and have it work out, cuz after winning this hand the guy had a 60k stack when the average was abou 13k and the next closest was 40k. Oh well, just start up another one next time. Thanks for the replies to make me feel better about it though.