Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Lay down Kings preflop?

Foxwoods 1/2 NL 100 max

I'm in the CO with red Kings (Just sat down ~ $125). EP Limper. CO+1 ($600+) opens for 15. I double his bet to 30. SB ($400+) makes it 60. CO+1 moves allin.

I stew for a few minutes, realize I'm probably beat, realize it's very rarely correct to fold KK preflop in a 50BB game and call.

SB Stews for a very long time and eventually calls for 350 more. CO+1 flips over aces, SB flips QQ(!).

I spike a king and take down the main pot, while the aces make profit off the side pot. Does anyone lay down the kings here? This NL game is crazy and I would not have been shocked if both my opponents had flipped over AK. However, I did read them for exactly what they had and called it before they flipped them over.

Anyway, basically it's a short-stack NL question in a loose aggro game, is it correct to fold kings in my position?
Old 06-07-2004, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Lay down Kings preflop?

I think the problem with this hand is your minraise PF. If you raise to something higher, perhaps $45, I think this hand would play a lot easier. SB would most likely call, so you only have to worry about one raise instead of 2. That being said, I think I'd make the same play as you and lose my stack after the SB calls. Tough to lay down KK PF with a shallow stack.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:44 PM

I don't know about your foxwoods game, but online at least, I don't see people acting too crazy or agressive PREFLOP very often.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:03 PM

In a money game this would be very hard to do unless you KNOW the player and KNOW that is the only hand he could have. Having just sat down into that type of game you have to call. The only caveat here is that I believe my gut instinct is almost always right and normally your fist instinct is the correct one. Hard decesion. In a tourney I would be able to dump.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about your foxwoods game, but online at least, I don't see people acting too crazy or agressive PREFLOP very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

The foxwoods $100 buyin game is quite aggressive preflop. I went once, and didn't enjoy it at all. When you sit down, generally speaking, any hand you want to see a flop with will cost you 1/4 of your stack.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:03 PM

It's a great feeling to lay kings down. My personal record is out for $25 in a $5-10 PLHE game. I have never been wrong but have only done it a few times. Second nut is second nut.

matt
Old 06-07-2004, 05:33 PM

tell me about it.

--turnipmonster
Old 06-07-2004, 05:39 PM

I don't know what type of games you play but in So Cal our live games are extremely aggressive and half of the table is just as likely to have 1010 or AQ than big PP when they move all in preflop. Like ctide I don't necessarily "enjoy" it but they are very profitable. I have to play in games where I have a huge comfort level and then I have to put my money out and gamble, but the level of competion is not what you would call strong. Unless you have a good read on the specific players it would be a bad play to lay them down. Your would @#$% your pants if you saw some of the hands turned over after all in moves in these games. Small suited connectors calling huge all in bets preflop is not THAT uncommon.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:43 PM

Most definitely, the week before this hand, in the same game, I saw two guys flip up 10-J all in preflop for over a hundred bucks. The only reason I strongly considered laying this down is that the player who re-re-raised didn't seem like a goober (although from 10 hands at the table it was hard to tell).

I kind of felt like I should go with my gut on this one, but I didn't, apparently not many would have in this situation. (I have mucked KK preflop several times in deeper stack situations. Although I try not to make a habit out of it)
Old 06-07-2004, 06:46 PM

Ctide, I have playe the 100 NLHE table and I love it, Since it does cost u at time (1/5-1/4) your stack, its much better than the Limit games. The B&M game at Foxwoods is so different than Online where u see a PFR to maybe 6 bucks at foxwoods its 15-25 a good portion of the time. $10 is the norm that I have seen.

As for laying down KK PF, Foxwoods dunno, I have seen people raise with 53s (LOL). I think its a toss up. I have laid down KK pre-flop 3 out of 6 times online. I was lost to AA 3 times and I would have been up against AA the other 3. When my raise get 2 or 3 bet, u know what happens.

Maybe I'll see u down there some time

Scotty O