Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 02:52 PM

Default The Value of Hidden Big Pairs (Stud 8/b)

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.90 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.45 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (6.45 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

River - (8.45 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (10.45 BB)

Results:
Main Pot: $206 | Rake: $3

Seat 3: [ 7c 7s 4h Qs As 8c Jd ] [ a pair of sevens -- As,Qs,Jd,7c,7s ]

Hero: [ Kh Ks 4d 2d Kc 5h 2s ] [ a full house, Kings full of twos -- Kh,Ks,Kc,2d,2s ]

I have taken mscags advice and started playing big hidden pairs strongly, and results have been pretty good. I should have realized this since I am all about pimping the value of deception in Stud 8/b, but what can I say, I have a total aversion to high-only hands in the game after being burned a bunch with them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks mscags! Seems to be working out so far.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: The Value of Hidden Big Pairs (Stud 8/b)

This is excelently played IMHO. The more I play this game, the more I realize that deceptive hands have a ton of value. I can't wait to see what happens once they open up the 15-30 and 30-60 games! Hopefully there will be lots of fishies taking shots [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 04:40 PM

The title of this thread really should be "The Value of Live Players Who Don't Fold When They Brick Off on Fourth Street (Stud 8/b)"

Who in their right mind continues with (77)4Q against a 3rd-street raiser who caught good?
Old 12-02-2005, 04:46 PM

Yeah, I don't even really know anything about 8/b and I think I could beat a player who played (77)4Q past 4th ...
Old 12-02-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The title of this thread really should be "The Value of Live Players Who Don't Fold When They Brick Off on Fourth Street (Stud 8/b)"

Who in their right mind continues with (77)4Q against a 3rd-street raiser who caught good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could have elaborated on that point, of course...

But yeah, this is the supposed hardest game on Party. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 06:42 PM

I absolutely don't intend to congratulate the player who stays in with (77)4Q.. but when that A hits him on 5th and he leads out..

If you don't trip your King, on 5th, isn't it a fold with an internal comment of "How does he call me on 4th? This guys an idiot, but he's got me now."

This comes from the perspective of someone running cold and not having trips on 5th since 1997.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I absolutely don't intend to congratulate the player who stays in with (77)4Q.. but when that A hits him on 5th and he leads out..

If you don't trip your King, on 5th, isn't it a fold with an internal comment of "How does he call me on 4th? This guys an idiot, but he's got me now."

This comes from the perspective of someone running cold and not having trips on 5th since 1997.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very likely, yes. It would seem likely that he has aces or possibly two pair.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:43 PM

Well done.I learned some good stuff about the value of deception in this hand,& I appreciate the post.Even when you raise 5th,your hand is concealed because you could have low &/or diamonds in the hole.Good luck. Ben