Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 11:45 AM

Default 7/8b hand 2

Does anyone else decide to drive at this small pot no one seems to want? (Obviously the river bet is trying to get a better hand to fold.) Is the 5th street bet believable (i.e. I think if I had a 4 flush on 4th with those boards I bet, so the 5th street lead does not seem to hard to read for a "since no one else wants it, and I can't call if the open kings bet" bet. The fact that I am betting into open kings gives it a little credence, maybe I started with something like (85)8, which I wouldn't, but I am thinking my lead doesnt represent anything other than a strong draw here, which is what I have, and the pot is not big enough to call if seat 3 bets I think. Meh, this is looking more like spewing).

Also, should I just go ahead and bet fourth, folding to a c/r? That at least sets up my bets on later streets.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.70 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (1.85 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (3.85 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (5.85 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Old 11-09-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: 7/8b hand 2

fold preflop
Old 11-12-2005, 01:15 AM

Preflop? Hello! Anyway,like Andy & others said. Me too.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:36 PM

Actually, fourth street is called both the "flop" and the "turn." Confusing to the hold'em crowd, I'm sure, but stud was here first.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:06 PM

Fold third, you have a one way hand and an ace just completed it.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:08 PM

As has been said, fold 3rd.

Given that you didn't, your play on 4th is good. You want a free look for a low club, which you got.

I like your push from that point on as well. I put villain on 3-low turned flush draw. If villain hits on 7th, villain reraises and you fold. If villain didn't, $$$.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:50 AM

In case no one's mentioned it, third street is a fold. Calling in situations like this is a significant leak. Three-card Eights just aren't very good hands, and when an Ace raises, you need to be very strong in order to enter the pot.

I think the bet on fifth was reasonable. Sixth is interesting. I think I'd probably bet. It looks natural and sets you up to bluff on the river. Hopefully, the other guy is on diamonds and misses. Your river bluff should work often enough to be worthwhile.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:20 AM

I don't recall if I had a reason for playing third, probably not a good one.

Villain folded.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:42 PM

Fold third. You have a terrible low draw and your aces may be dead.

Bet fourth, hoping to knock out Seat 3.

Rest seems ok, but less belivable because you didn't bet fourth. In general, bluffs are pretty read-dependent. Generally, multi-street bluffs are spewage.

Disclaimer: When I've taken shots at 10/20, I've lost more than I've won.