Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: A Play I Make a Lot

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, if I have 8Ts, or even 35s, this is a clear call.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would toss these.

is that a leak?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:14 AM

I call anything playable here. Suited or unsuited one gappers. Implied odds baby [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call anything playable here. Suited or unsuited one gappers. Implied odds baby [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

weeeeeeeee...... maybe i'll get to play a non-nut draw out of position. awesome. or i'll flop 2-pair/trips 1 time in 29. yay. hope none of the 5 people in the pot flopped a set.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:14 PM

Your not really playing to play a draw for a lot of chips with a hand like this.

If you do flop a BIG draw maybe, but your looking to flop 2 pair, trips or a draw that gets played out cheaply.

Your odds of hitting one of these hands may well be 29-1, (a bit less if you get to play your draws cheap) but when it cost you 30 to call and can win 1500+ the implied odds are too good to refuse IMO.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i would toss these.

is that a leak?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this really dependent on your opponents. If you can make a straight or 2 pair and double up it might be worth it. In a rebuy, I would probably call with these. In a $7 tournament, I would call with theese, but not 83o.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your not really playing to play a draw for a lot of chips with a hand like this.

If you do flop a BIG draw maybe, but your looking to flop 2 pair, trips or a draw that gets played out cheaply.

Your odds of hitting one of these hands may well be 29-1, (a bit less if you get to play your draws cheap) but when it cost you 30 to call and can win 1500+ the implied odds are too good to refuse IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

but sometimes you hit and lose your stack to a better two pair. people get very excited about their 6:1 pot odds or whatever but don't think about the increased number of people means an increased chance their "big flop" is going to cost them their stack.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but sometimes you hit and lose your stack to a better two pair. people get very excited about their 6:1 pot odds or whatever but don't think about the increased number of people means an increased chance their "big flop" is going to cost them their stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and this has happened to me before, but I take there stack a lot more often than they take mine.
I'm not saying its not without risk, and I only do it when the blinds are small, but I have been card dead in countless tournies and stayed alive because of calling with marginal hands in the BB.

I might keep track for a couple of months and see what my success to failure rate is as I must admit to thinking it was a no brainer getting anything better than 5-1 when its 2% of my stack to call.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i would toss these.

is that a leak?

[/ QUOTE ]

i toss 35s, but i'll call 8Ts.

Theres some top pair value w/ 8Ts, along with the straight flush etc.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:13 PM

Trash is trash and it takes a whole lot of extenuating circumstances to make this a call, and they are almost never present. Fold.

Like was stated earlierin the thread this is an easy call with even the lowest suited connectors.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
weeeeeeeee...... maybe i'll get to play a non-nut draw out of position. awesome. or i'll flop 2-pair/trips 1 time in 29. yay. hope none of the 5 people in the pot flopped a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Passing up +EV spots cause they are hard is not good. If you are good postflop these spots are +ev.

what am i missing? You win tournaments with non-nut draws and retarded 2 pairs.

-Jason