Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: \"Islam is a peaceful religion\"

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

[/ QUOTE ]

That proves it! Islam is a peaceful religion! Yea!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 04:39 PM

hahaha wooo, he cracked the code.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:42 PM

and let's not forget verses quoted out of context to justify the crusades, the inquisition, and even racism/lynchings in the South just a few years ago -

My point had nothing to do with Islam and everything to do with a fact that a couple quick snippets from the Koran doesn't not justify an entire viewpoint - for all I know, those are just quotes of leaders...certainly don't have to be commands from Allah -

According to the Bible, the Devil even tried quoting scripture out of context to tempt Jesus - it's an old trick - and I got sick of it years ago in the Christian church, and I know enough snake oil to know when someone is doing it to some other religion's holy writings.

RB
Old 08-02-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just reading Michael Savage's "Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"

[/ QUOTE ]

Without commenting on the subject under discussion, anyone who has listened to Savage for more than about 30 seconds knows that he's personally very well equipped to discuss mental disorders.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Looking A Little Deeper

[ QUOTE ]
My point had nothing to do with Islam and everything to do with a fact that a couple quick snippets from the Koran doesn't not justify an entire viewpoint - for all I know, those are just quotes of leaders...certainly don't have to be commands from Allah -

[/ QUOTE ]

Those verses aren't the quotes of various leaders, Whiskey--they are the direct instructions of Allah to mankind for all time, written down by Mohammed as the exact message told to him by the Archangel Gabriel (on behalf of Allah).

The Koran contains the direct instructions of Allah, to mankind, for all time.

You used to study the Bible, as I recall.

Many verses in the Bible, especially in the Old Testament, are given in the historical sense. This is especially true of many of the violent passages.

This is not the same case with the Koran. Nor does the Koran have various authors, and doubts of authorship; nor was it selectively pieced together from many books as was the present-day Bible. It is generally acknowledged by scholars that Mohammed was the sole writer of the Koran.

Also please notice that the Biblical passages referenced in comparison thus far, throughout this thread, are from the Old Testament. The Old Testament mostly relates to pre-Christ history and theology.

Christianity is more of the New Testament than the Old Testament.

If someone wants to compare Islam to Christianity (or actually, to the belief in and followings of the teachings of Jesus Christ), they should be digging out verses from the New Testament. There they won't find verses comparable to the myriad verses in the Koran enjoining present day Muslims to terrorize, kill, torture and subjugate non-believers (remember, the Koran is a book of Allah's instructions good for all time).

There is however ONE verse, to my knowledge, in the New Testament that is is any way comparable to the dozens of such verses in the Koran--and that line exists only in ONE of the Gospels (Luke) and is not corroborated in any other of the Gospels.

So before you or anyone else should presume that Islam is no more violent or totalitarian in nature than Christianity, it might make some sense if you did some research before grabbing on to such a easy and natural opinion.

Another aspect of difference between the two religions is that Jesus did not insist on ruling this Earth, or on forcing people to follow God's law. If someone wanted to go down an evil path, Jesus would let them (though perhaps he might speak to try to dissuade them or make them think twice). Jesus also instructed followers to lay up treasures in heaven rather than on this Earth.

The Koran on the other hand clearly instructs believers that they should rule all of the Earth, thereby carrying out Allah's will--and using force wherever necessary to achieve their goal.

Jesus was a man of peace, not resisting even his own tormentors and executioners. Jesus advised loving one's enemy and turning the other cheek.

Mohammed, by contrast, was a warrior-king: leading over a dozen military expeditions of conquest in his lifetime and participating in dozens more. He promised his soldiers the twin rewards of booty in this world and sensual delights in the next.

Islam is highly concerned with forcing the world to submit to its rule, to God's law. "Islam" in fact means submission (to Allah's will). That part is OK, but the part that is not OK is the philosophical basis and instructions throughout the Koran of forcing others to do so also.

So, before forming a conclusion about the comparison of two religions, it might make sense to know a fair bit about both religions--not just about one.

I say this not to be critical of you, but rather because it is a common mistake I see many otherwise educated Westerners making today. It is more natural to presume the two are roughly equivalent, of course--and that is also a more hopeful presumption. Deeper inspection of the religious texts and philosophical bases of the two religions will however reveal some monumental dissimilarities.

All this of course may mean little when men are predisposed to do evil based upon ANY sort of perceived philosophical or religious justification. However it is still worth discerning what the underlying messages of each religion really are teaching. It is also worth noting the drastically contrasting personal examples of the lives of the founders of both religions.

All of this doesn't mean that Muslims are inherently more violent than Christians. However it does indicate that Islam is inherently more violent than Christianity.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Looking A Little Deeper

Good post. Personally I think all religion has a measure of intolerance as a result of its believe in absolute God given morality. This lends itself the violence.

However, different religous tenants make some religions more prone to it then others. Chiefly, the difference between the tone of the new testament and the tone of the Koran.

I think of Jesus like Gandi and Mohammed like Napolean. I've heard a lot of good things about Napolean. That his reforms were good, that he was good at governance, that he was a brilliant leader. Even if we assume these things to be true, that Napolean had many good ideas that we can learn from, it doesn't change the fact that he was a militarist and imperialist. Similairly, even if we accept the Mohammaed had many good ideas that are useful today, it will never change the fact that he was a militarist and imperialist.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can pull scriptures out of context from the Bible to support the same idea that Christianity/Judism is a violent religion - do you actually think you are actually establishing a point or pattern by reprinting out of context verses from the Koran that a misanthrope spoon fed to you thru his biased viewpoint?

at least TRY to come up with something original

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen champ, I'm looking for a discussion. Your response implies that I don't think Christianity/Judism could be viewed in that matter. I'm merely saying that I'm getting tired of the "peaceful religion" rhetoric. And as for originality, I actually said that I got those quotes from a book. I'm not plaguerizing. I'm looking for a discussion. BTW, your heated response to a valid point of discussion is exactly why Libs are starting to look really bad. Not that you're a Lib, just making a point....
Old 08-02-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just reading Michael Savage's "Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"

[/ QUOTE ]

Without commenting on the subject under discussion, anyone who has listened to Savage for more than about 30 seconds knows that he's personally very well equipped to discuss mental disorders.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...Good point. FYI, I'm not defending him. It's OK to read outside of your own view point...
Old 08-02-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can pull scriptures out of context from the Bible to support the same idea that Christianity/Judism is a violent religion - do you actually think you are actually establishing a point or pattern by reprinting out of context verses from the Koran that a misanthrope spoon fed to you thru his biased viewpoint?

at least TRY to come up with something original

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen champ, I'm looking for a discussion. Your response implies that I don't think Christianity/Judism could be viewed in that matter. I'm merely saying that I'm getting tired of the "peaceful religion" rhetoric. And as for originality, I actually said that I got those quotes from a book. I'm not plaguerizing. I'm looking for a discussion. BTW, your heated response to a valid point of discussion is exactly why Libs are starting to look really bad. Not that you're a Lib, just making a point....

[/ QUOTE ]

I have another question for you. You say I'm unoriginal for my post. Now I will argue against that all day because, as I have said, I was not claiming to have made a new insightful point, but simply presenting a topic for discussion (this is a forum: A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper or a radio or television program.)

So my question... how do you call me unoriginal, and then make your only response that I am taking the Koran out of context, and you could easily take passages from the bible in the same manner. Have you listened to or watched any form of debate on this issue? That's the trigger loaded response to my question from every defender of the great religion of Islam in the world.

By calling me unoriginal, you are in essence implying that you are original. You are not.

-Jihad
Old 08-02-2005, 08:55 PM

How does this change the fact that the Islamofascists are 12th century freaks who need to get with modern times and stop treating women like pieces of garbage? Islam is based on homophobia, sexism and racism. We should not tolerate their terrorism. Bomb Mecca. It's the only thing those people understand.