Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 11:45 PM

Default QQ in MP please give advice

blinds 300 600, i have 22k, top 18 get money, $5 tourney, 22 left

im in MP with QQ; raise to 3000

SB call (his stack 32k), rest fold

flop AT5 two diamonds, ace of clubs

check check

turn 2c

check check

river 6c

he bets 8000

rate my play/ what do i do?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Re: QQ in MP please give advice

PF was a little much...1800-2400 would have been a little better. You then should have made a 1/2 pot bet on the flop to see where you were.

TT
Old 06-09-2005, 01:10 AM

This hand is a helluva lot easier if you bet that flop.

But, as you played it, lay it down.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:23 AM

Hello all. Relatively new here, so be gentle. Betting 1/2 the pot on the flop is probably best, but checking is not an awful play. Not betting the turn, IMO, is. Overcards to a pocket pair can be scary, but when it's checked to you twice, you must assume you have the best hand.
River bet is bit tricky to read (would need some info on the villain AND yourself), but I know if you check the flop and I pick up a four-flush on the turn, I'm usually betting right out. Since we can almost rule out an ace, two pair (with or without an ace), and the flush, there are few hands you that beat you now (maybe a set of 6's). Whether or not you call the river bet (which I would probably do) is a matter of reading the villain, but the important thing to remember is that most or all of the hands a lot of poker players would play this way are hands in which you were ahead on the flop and on the river. So bet, baby, bet.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 AM

I would raise to around T2000 unless you have reason to believe that isn't enough to limit the field, or there are donks that are regularly calling overbets preflop. Once that flop hits, you have to bet, since checking entitles him to steal the pot on the turn.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:13 AM

At that point of a MTT I would protect my stack with an all in bet, be satisfied with blinds if not called. I have a love hate relationship with QQ and I would prefer not to have an Ax call or limp in at certain stages of the game. Another option I may have done depending on my gut instincts is not raise preflop then go from there. In your situation a bet after the flop is what I would have done.
GL
Old 06-09-2005, 02:15 AM

No offense, but this is terrible advice. Hero has 22k. There is 900 in blinds. For him to go all-in preflop he's either going to win 900 or lose to AA. If he isn't good enough to play QQ after the flop, he's not going to win any money. Make a normal raise, and feel fortunate that you get to play the 3rd best hand in poker.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:48 AM

I'm studying this more, and I noticed the flop had the Ac.

Two questions:
1) do you have the Qc?
2) is your opponent solid?

I don't think your opponent could possibly have the flush if you had the Qc. The only hand he could call with from the SB, and it is still a poor call IMO, is QcKc. So, if your opponent is solid, he probably doesnt call with QcKc OOP, but he might, who knows.

So assuming he doesn't have the flush, i dont think he has an ace either, he would have bet on turn to protect his hand.

I'm guessing hes either on a total bluff or has TT, im leaning towards TT, so i still fold.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:49 AM

No offense taken and I could except the fact that pocket AA is out there and I lose. I don't want no cheap A or K to beat me at this stage of the tourney after I put in a preflop raise. My style at this stage is to protect my stack with pocket Q's. If you do get called the odds are with you. I wouldn't make this move with QQ in all stages of the game though. But in this situation your on the bubble with a decent stack. We all play differently and I've been sussessful with my style which changes from stage to stage or by the situation. Won three tourneys in the past four months and i've made the final table 8-9 times in within that period. A nice 15k for a part time player during this span. Nothing wrong with protecting your stack at certain stages of the game and this has worked for me.
GL
Old 06-09-2005, 12:08 PM

Forgot to mention that your move preflop was not bad, checking the flop is where you went wrong though.