Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 07:38 PM

Default The \"generational read\" at Foxwoods 1-3

Cross-post to beginners and my own blog, but i'll probably get the best comments here. In short, is my judgement of people's propensity to bluff based on their age a good thing? Keep in mind that FW 1-3 is a very old demographic, although as noted it's probably growing younger:

[ QUOTE ]
An even better hand, at least egowise, came in 1-3 stud about half an hour before I had to leave for good. A youngish Asian guy had sat down 15 minutes earlier at our table -- incidentally, I see 7-stud becoming more popular among a younger crowd waiting for hold 'em tables, sorta like UConn women's hoops became big because in the early-mid 90's no one could get seats for the men's games. Anyway, I had split kings and was playing them hard, which of course wasn't driving anyone out because it's 1-3 stud. On fifth street someone else caught a third king and the Asian guy had three hearts showing. I bet 3 to continue charging everyone to draw out on me, and the three-flush raised to 6. If the raise had come from one of the older types who usually play this game, I could probably throw my hand away right there. Only by a miracle would I fill up two cards to come. But my read was that this guy seemed much more aggressive than the rocks normally in this came -- call it racial or ageist profiling, call it what you will. I called, paired open tens on sixth street for kings up and called down to the showdown. By this point the pot was immense for 1-3, probably $70-80, as several had stayed in until 5th street and one fellow traveler followed us to the river (she folded then, and told us she had queens up).

When I called his river bet, I asked, "What have you got?" He said, "Nothing", and started to muck his hand. Ah, the euphoria of turning over my hole cards and getting pushed that pot. Nothing the online world offers can even touch that feeling, no matter how much multitabling or smaller rake may mean (and should mean!) to some people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comments?
Old 04-16-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: The \"generational read\" at Foxwoods 1-3

[ QUOTE ]
When I called his river bet, I asked, "What have you got?" He said, "Nothing", and started to muck his hand. Ah, the euphoria of turning over my hole cards and getting pushed that pot. Nothing the online world offers can even touch that feeling, no matter how much multitabling or smaller rake may mean (and should mean!) to some people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why were you so eager to show your hand if he was in the process of mucking? If you showed simply for the gratification of displaying the better hand, you are not playing smart poker.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:06 PM

Fair point. Thanks for the reading and for the comment.

Here's some counterpoints:

1. I would be surprised if ANYONE in the 1-3 game is trying to pick up information about how I play -- I could fold 50 straight hands, raise the max with an ace up, and get 5 callers

2. I was about to leave for the night. Admittedly I might see the same players again in a game, or I might not. Certainly it's more likely I'll see the same 1-3 crowd than it would be in hold 'em, or even 1-5 stud.

3. I really don't recall if he showed his hand when saying he had nothing or not. I embellished a bit.

But point taken, I should practice taking care with such details for the bigger games where it would more likely matter.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:12 PM

As a young asian and an intermediate level stud player, I'll tell you this: there are only two types of young asian poker players. The tight aggressive ones who have had the right mind to actually pick up a book and think about the game, and the loose aggressive ones who raise simply out of machismo.

It seems as though you've encountered the latter. Even if you were thinking of leaving, I'd sit around a bit longer to give him another opportunity to donate his money to you.