Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Moving Up Is Hard To Do

I breezed through $0.50/$1, +650BB over 19,000 hands. I thought no problem, move on to 1/2 and I'll be playing 2/4 in a couple months.

Well, 4 months later and 1/2 has been a bitch for me...

I was breakeven after about 35k hands. Then in my last 8k I've won 220BB. It's still an up and down thing but lately I'm having more ups than downs. That 35k breakeven stretch was probably good for me in the long run as I actually think I've gotten better over those hands and that's why I started to have an easier time winning. I actually see myself making certain plays that I know there was no way I made at the beginning of my career. The whole way I go about a hand is different than it used to be. I know I've come a long way and also know that there as an even longer road ahead of me if I plan to meet my goal of comfortably playing the 5/10 game by the end of 2006...

If it wasn't for bonuses and rakeback I probably would have given up on this game for the most part...which would have been sad given my current state of improvement...

I've dabbled a little at 2/4 and have actually had a little easier time at that level in the couple thousand hands I've played there. I'm waiting for 400BB and a decent win rate at 1/2 over a not so insignificant sample size before moving up full time however.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:53 AM

have good winrate at 1/2 recently moved up to 2/4. Have lost quite a bit at 2/4 but have recognised a few important things.

1. There are some areas of my game I need to improve.
2. There are some really crap players at 2/4 just like 1/2.
3. There are probably a few more good players at each table than 1/2.
4. I really should not be multitabling when I try to move up. 2 at max for me.

Like you have dropped back down to my regular game and found myself playing better than ever. I will try again once the roll has recovered a little from any losses incurred.

I am guessing that this pattern will become familiarl.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

4. I really should not be multitabling when I try to move up. 2 at max for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this will help anyone the most. I used to multitable 4 or 5 tables and my results were very lackluster. I was missing so many things that it was really cutting into my winrate. I went on a 15k break even stretch followed by a 15k 200BB downswing, both at 2/4 on Party.

I kept reading and studying and decided to switch over to Prima to clear some bonuses. The Prima games were tougher than Party and there was only ever 2 games of 2/4 going on there at the most ever.

This forced me to play only 2 tables and focus and gave me some experience playing against a little bit tougher lineup.

I don't think I'll ever play more than 2 tables again because I believe anything above that and I just can't physically absorb all the information I need to.

I'm now reading my opponents much better and picking up tons of pots and seizing opportunities I would NEVER have even seen playing 4 tables.

I'm back at Party now and over the last 10k hands I'm running >7BB/100 at 2/4 (obviously partly due to running good) and I have >400BB for 3/6 so I'm making the move.

I'm also having a good time picking up pots from multitabling TAGs who give up because they have hands on other tables awaiting them and/or capping them with the nuts because they saw me bluff 1 hand and then missed watching every other hand I played on the table.

edited to say: I'm only playing 2 tables at Party as well now. No more, no less.