Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Whatd the dude say to piss off Jennifer Harmon?

This little episode gave me cause to start rooting against Harman. The guy apologizes and she keeps saying, "Nice speech, nice speech." Enough with the guilt trip already woman.

After that, I enjoyed watching her bust out.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(I didn't see the hand though....was on the phone telling my GF that I was just on national TV looking like a total dork).

[/ QUOTE ] This as opposed to... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Could be worse though I was the jackass saying to my wife Look! Holy [censored] it's MicroBob!

Us ugly guys with good voices can spot each other from a mile away. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Congrats though on starting the ESPN WSOP coverage. I'm sure it has always been your dream to be on ESPN.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This little episode gave me cause to start rooting against Harman. The guy apologizes and she keeps saying, "Nice speech, nice speech." Enough with the guilt trip already woman.

After that, I enjoyed watching her bust out.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I viewed the opposite way - the guy was a pro (although not a famous one). When he hits his miracle one outter, just turn the cards over and don't give a stupid speech.

This tournament is the equivalent of Christmas and your birthday for tournament pros. She got crippled very early in day 1 with a miracle 1-out bad beat - which would be fairly emotional to take to begin with, but to have the guy basically rub salt in the wound? Not really surprising she was so pissed.

I might have given the guy some leeway...if he wasn't a pro. He should've known better. Yeah, it would've been better if Harman could've been completely emotionless. But she is only human.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:17 PM

She didn't overreact whatsoever. I think she handled it about as well as you can after some guy slowrolls the nuts on the river after hitting a miricle one outer. I would have went ballistic and been removed from the tourney within minutes.

She handled herself wonderfully. She didn't curse him out and thrown chairs like some of us would have done.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a "big time cash player" like Jen Harmen can't take a mild slow roll comment then boo f'ing hoo.

This guy is a donk, he has no chance of winning the tourney, and he just caught a miracle card to all but bust a big name pro, it was his one moment of glory and he handled fine.

If she's gonna get all huffy about it she isn't as big time as she thinks she is, maybe she was just on her period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agreed.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:37 PM

what did she do that was so bad?

she was just steaming a little bit...
Old 10-13-2005, 12:22 AM

Agree 100%. A few years ago a notorious slowroller at one of the local Indian casions got beat to death in the parking lot with a tire iron by some guy he slowrolled his small tournament winning hand with and as far as I'm concerned good riddance.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think paul phillips wrote in his blog about this when it happened and he made it sound a lot worse than it actually was. I'll see if I can find the journal entry.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was in one of the Slate blog entries, not my personal blog. In the interests of supplying some context (and I still haven't seen what everyone else has since I'm not home) I did not witness it firsthand: I ran into jennifer shortly after she busted and heard it from her while she was still emotional. I included it in my submission for that day which was then substantially reworded by the Slate editor.

So here are the layers of indirection: Reality -> Jennifer's interpretation -> Jennifer's characterization -> Paul's interpretation of Jennifer's characterization -> Slate's attempted clarification of Paul's interpretation.

That's not a lot more indirection than one typically encounters in the media; it might be a lot less. But it may help explain why "I made it sound worse than it was."
Old 10-13-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think the hand with the fat dude's K9 against Ferguson's aces shows how he would react. The only reason the guy called is because he entered on a $250 satellite. Its $10,000 to Chris Ferguson. A lot of people in that situation would have flown off the handle, especially when the flop came K 9 4. Ferguson sat calmy and when the board paired and Chris won he went over and shook the fat guy's hand. That is class.

The fat guy played horribly and it was clear he was playing this hand simply to take a shot at a well-known pro. Ferguson acted with class while Harman did not.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was hillarious, I laughed my ass off when the fat guy, I guess, didn't realize the river paired the board and thought he won the hand for a few seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just found out today that the fat guy is a friend of a very good friend of mine. Double hillarity
Old 10-13-2005, 01:09 AM

Here's the paragraph in question:

[ QUOTE ]
One of my good friends is out of the tournament already. The day isn't three hours old when I run into a devastated Jennifer Harman-Traniello. She had moved all-in on the river with queens full, a powerhouse hand that could be beaten on that particular board only by an unlikely four of a kind or an even more improbable straight flush. As her opponent called, he said, "Looks like it's an early day for me, I guess I'll go do some sightseeing." And then he rolled over his unbeatable straight flush. There are few players I like as much as Jennifer. I'm glad I wasn't at that table, or I might have gotten myself another lifetime ban.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could definitely understand her reaction if that's the way she heard the comment - and I'd say that it's highly likely that really is the way she heard it. There was no reason for her to make up a different version of what he said.