Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Expert Aruba play by Shaniac?

OK I was there...what occured is basically a mix between Shaniac and JV's story. Phil Hellmuth was clearly waiting on the side of the road with his posse for the next cab. A cab slowly pulled up, Phil was talking to people and kind of just waiting for the cab to approach. Shaniac being a little drunk and a lot oblivious saw a cab and jumped right to it, opening the door and saying the now classic line "this way, gentleman" to our posse. Phil obviously disturbed looking like he just got showed pocket 7's after laying down QQ turns to his group, "that guy just stole our cab" he exclaimed quizzicly. Simaltaneously JV, Matt, JV's girl and I piled into the cab with Shane and hilarity ensued
Old 10-07-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, I never did, nor would I ever, say "New York Rules" in any context; certainly not in a situation in which I was intentionally snaking a cab from a man who is probably the best poker player to ever roam the earth; a man whose very presence at the same salsa-themed nightclub amounts to an enormous privelege.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop diluting your towering achievement with this revisionist pussiness. NEW YORK RULES, GENTLEMEN!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:54 AM

Was JV wearing a button down striped shirt?
Old 10-07-2005, 01:23 AM

i can't wait for the day i see shaniac waiting for a cab. "this way gentlemen", i of course would only be talking to myself. =[
Old 10-07-2005, 02:23 AM

On purpose = jerk move, but still kinda funny;

By accident while drunk = hilarious!
Old 10-07-2005, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK I was there...what occured is basically a mix between Shaniac and JV's story. Phil Hellmuth was clearly waiting on the side of the road with his posse for the next cab. A cab slowly pulled up, Phil was talking to people and kind of just waiting for the cab to approach. Shaniac being a little drunk and a lot oblivious saw a cab and jumped right to it, opening the door and saying the now classic line "this way, gentleman" to our posse. Phil obviously disturbed looking like he just got showed pocket 7's after laying down QQ turns to his group, "that guy just stole our cab" he exclaimed quizzicly. Simaltaneously JV, Matt, JV's girl and I piled into the cab with Shane and hilarity ensued

[/ QUOTE ]

damn, looks like I should have said hi to shane when sweating lacky during flight 3. Might have had an extra story or two from the trip then.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the OP embellished the story a little bit.

First of all, I never did, nor would I ever, say "New York Rules" in any context; certainly not in a situation in which I was intentionally snaking a cab from a man who is probably the best poker player to ever roam the earth; a man whose very presence at the same salsa-themed nightclub amounts to an enormous privelege.

Here's how I remember the events: Phil, in his all black UB-Oakley uniform, left the club and was waiting on the sidewalk with his entourage. There was no "cab line" such as you might find at an airport. I didn't really process his presence on the curb, and probably assumed he was waiting for a hellicopter, or perhaps a Secret Service limo, to transport him safely to his suite at the Radisson.

In any case, when I saw a cab pull about about 20 feet down the street to the left, I didn't realize that Phil and Co. were probably just as interested in procuring its services, and I, somewhat obvlivously, wandered over to the taxi, opened the door, slid over to the passenger's side window, and then called out "this way, gentleman" to my friends.

If Phil, or anyone, had declared (as I, in their shoes, would have) "hey, that's our cab" I would have become aware of my faux-pas and relinquished the vehicle.

It wasn't until my own posse was crammed into the cab that the essence of this tale was revealed to me, and I realized my unintentional snub.

I would like to point out that I am generally considered a polite and considerate individual, not known for doing things like stealing cabs or executing other sniveling angles. I didn't lose TOO much sleep over this one, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just ruined a good story. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On purpose = jerk move, but still kinda funny;

By accident while drunk = hilarious!

[/ QUOTE ]
Bingo.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:47 PM

There was no formal line. But people obvioulsy waiting.

You can consider the cab, SNIPED.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:02 PM

The cab stealing was clearly unintentional. No doubt about that. But something about New York and first one in a cab was definitely said, after the original faupaux. If Shane would've backed off and conceded the cab with a "Oh excuse me, Mr. Hellmuth," his reputations would have been tarnished forever.