Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Responding to raises

This is a general question. I realize that a lot of the answer will be situation specific, but I'm just trying to resolve my overall attitude as a starting point.

Blind steal with trash that is reraised - easy fold
Blind steal with a great hand that is reraised - reraise
Blind steal with a medium holding - ??

(all the following assumes you raised pf, esp in steal pos.)
Bet on flop is raised when you missed completely - fold
Bet on flop is raised when you were hit hard - call/raise
Bet on flop is raised when you hit something minor - ??

I think these scenarios could be a significant weakness in my game. If I raise PF from the button with a medium pair (later in the tournament) and the BB comes back with double my bet, or really any amount, I feel like I'm often unsure how to proceed. I have a tendency to immediately think they might be just be playing back because they think I'm bluffing. I also tend to worry about the effect on my image if I fold. I think these two things along with 'well I'm getting 3:1 to call' might be leading me to call when I should be folding.

On the flop, the situations would be AK/AQ and semi-coordinated rags flop. I bet out and get min-raised. Folding seems really weak for such a small bet. Or betting 88 on a JJ4 flop to be min-raised.

Obviously if I have a read on someone that often makes it easier. But in the more general sense:

-People aren't normally bluffing, right? I should be thinking 'fold' unless I have a real reason to stay in the hand.

-It's not actually going to hurt my image that much to fold and have it be obvious that I was blind stealing or buying the pot on the flop. Or is it? Am I just begging to be played back at in the future?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Responding to raises

I think a lot of this will depend on the level you are playing. I could be wrong, but I doubt there are many low-level (Say $50 and under) players who have the juice to resteal unless they have at least a decent hand. If, however, you can identify these guys, it can be very profitable when you do catch a hand.

With a medium holding, and a re-raise from the blinds, I think the play depends on what "medium" means, or which medium hand you're talking about. If I'm raised, I would probably put the villain on Ax (and x really could be anything, but I would lean towards ace-face) or a pocket pair. If I'm on A9, sure I'm getting 3:1, but I could easily be dominated. If I'm on 88 or 99, I'll call and see what the flop brings.

[ QUOTE ]
Bet on flop is raised when you missed completely - fold
Bet on flop is raised when you were hit hard - call/raise
Bet on flop is raised when you hit something minor - ??

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm check-raised here, yuck. If he's got the stones to check-raise me after I raise pre-flop, call his reraise, and then bet the flop, more power to him. (Not sure if that's clear.)

What is more interesting, I think, is if you catch a piece of the flop, and he bets into you. Looks like a stop-n-go resteal, but it could be anything...tough. I'm not sure how to handle this situation.

Gotta run. Looking forward to other responses.

Sam