Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Who likes pushing QQ early w/3 limpers in front?

I raise to ~200. If an A or K hits, I fold to aggression.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:59 PM

I think the play is OK. Wouldn't be my default but it is OK. The lower the level the better the play. Also, as you play higher buy ins, if you only make this move with good hands, you are wasting the good hands.

Edit: At 33 I don't know if this move has more value than a normal raise, but at 109 which is what I play most right now, I think it has considerably less.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:04 PM

I'd rather take a 70/30 race early than a 50/50 cf on the bubble and hit the bubble with a big stack to pound the lil guys into submission.

Thats just me though.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:06 PM

Thats so weak tight man.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:12 PM

Ok Moonsugar says what I'm trying to say, but better =).

-LDT
Old 06-09-2005, 01:13 PM

At the 109's and above don't many players often make this same move with "any 2 cards," not monsters like qq, due to the fact that most of their opponents are at least competent, if not good players, and will lay down their hands?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:15 PM

I don't push here, but it's not because I'm afraid AJ will call.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:16 PM

Raise to 175. Sure pushing is +EV, but not as +EV as a small raise.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:43 PM

A more interesting question would be, if you raise 3 times the BB rather than push, what happens if one of the limpers or someone behind you re-raises you but doesn't put you all in? Say if you call, you would have $300 left in chips (or something like that). Now you know you are beat most likely. Do you fold, call and limit yourself to $300 left in chips and the very real potential that an A or K will fall on the flop and then you are probably screwed, or do you push all in, knowing you are probably up against AA, KK or at a minimum AK? I think you have to fold to the re-raise here.

The real problem with raising 3 times the BB here, is that more than likely, you'll end up in a multi-way pot, because there will almost always be 3-4 callers (well heck I'm already in for $30, let's have some action) or a re-raiser.

I've been playing queens very gingerly 10 handed. I might play them like any other pair here and limp in and see if I hit trips or not. If that A or K shows up on the board with 3-4 players in the pot, you are stewed.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A more interesting question would be, if you raise 3 times the BB rather than push, what happens if one of the limpers or someone behind you re-raises you but doesn't put you all in? Say if you call, you would have $300 left in chips (or something like that). Now you know you are beat most likely. Do you fold, call and limit yourself to $300 left in chips and the very real potential that an A or K will fall on the flop and then you are probably screwed, or do you push all in, knowing you are probably up against AA, KK or at a minimum AK? I think you have to fold to the re-raise here.

The real problem with raising 3 times the BB here, is that more than likely, you'll end up in a multi-way pot, because there will almost always be 3-4 callers (well heck I'm already in for $30, let's have some action) or a re-raiser.

I've been playing queens very gingerly 10 handed. I might play them like any other pair here and limp in and see if I hit trips or not. If that A or K shows up on the board with 3-4 players in the pot, you are stewed.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no. Firstly, you can't raise over limpers only 3x. 3x + limpers is normal. So with two limpers at 30 each, you should be raising to around 150. If you think callers are above average to call, then make it a little more.

Secondly, you are giving Party players WAY too much credit. I've been all in with two people with UNDERPAIRS to my queens preflop in the first couple rounds in a 33. This is a massively profitable situation. When I raise to 175 over limpers, I am not afraid of the re-raise at all. Once in a while it's going to be AA or KK and I'm going to lose. Oh well. More likely it's some donk with AJ or worse who thinks he has a premium hand. If someone comes back with a raise to 350 or whatever, I'm pushing and laughing all the way to the bank.