Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 03:34 PM

Default EPT Monte Carlo

Part 1 of EPT Monte Carlo was shown last night on "The Score" (Canadian all sports channel), caught most of it while flipping between the Sonics/Spurs game. Fossilman was at the featured table for much of the broadcast. He had Tony G (of WPT Paris, season 1 fame) on his right, and former tennis pro Yevgeny Kafelnikov was also at the table. Didn't seem as though Tony was bothering anyone too much, Raymer in particular seemed to be getting along with him. I guess he's not as bad as Matusow.

From what they showed the field seemed pretty weak. A lot of limped family pots, one even had 8 or 9 people seeing the flop. A lot of weak bets and weird plays. A lot of scared players trying not to get busted. One hand in particular that I somewhat remember, seemed pretty indicative of what was shown. I'll probably get a few details wrong, they weren’t great with the information about the blinds, and the size of stacks, bets, and pots, but you'll get the idea. Plus, I wasn’t really paying close attention, so forgive any mistakes with the details.

A guy limps in MP, next guy also limps with aces, a couple more see the flop including Fossilman, in the BB I think. Good flop for aces (T-high, 2 clubs), guy only bets T300 or something, a couple callers. Fossilman hit a pair of 10's with T3 or T4 of spades. Turn is another spade, and I believe aces guy makes the same small bet, Raymer and another call. River is another spade, Raymer ends up pushing (T5k?, I forget what he had exactly), everyone folds. Greg mentioned in his postmordem interview that he felt like the players thought he was bluffing all the time from seeing him at the WSOP, so I suppose he was trying to make this overbet look like a steal.

Seemed to be a lot of odd hands like that, guys limping with AK or AJ, then calling bets down until laying it on the river when they miss completely. I think they said half the field qualified via PokerStars, some of those guys looked real bad.

Another hand of note, folds around to Tony G in the cutoff (I think), he opens with a standard raise (something like T300-500) with junk, Fossilman pushes allin (about T5k?) with jacks, BB wakes up with aces and calls. Greg flops and set and takes it down. I imagine Greg would have won the hand, regardless of the way it was played it. Sorry to mention it, but I'd be interested to hear what you were thinking on that one. From the play I take it Tony was raising a lot of pots.

The show ended up switching the feature table to one that had Devilfish Ulliot, Julian Gardner, and Martin DeKniff, which included Devilfish moving in preflop, and then sucking out on a guy with AJ against AQ. DeKniff looked to be playing well, while Gardner was quiet.

They showed Greg bust towards the end of the show, but the details of that hand escape me at the moment.

Anyone else see this thing and have any comments? Is it even being broadcast in the US? Anyone play in it?

Oh, and for those who get "The Score", here's the remaining broadcast schedule:

Monte Carlo 2 May 15 at 10:00 pm ET
Monte Carlo 2 May 16 at 12:30 am ET
Monte Carlo 3 May 22 at 8:00 pm ET
Monte Carlo 3 May 22 at 11:00 pm ET
Monte Carlo (1-3) May 29 at 7:00 pm ET
Monte Carlo (1-3) May 29 at 11:00 pm ET
Monte Carlo Final June 5 at 8:00 pm ET
Monte Carlo Final June 5 at 11:00 pm ET
Old 05-09-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: EPT Monte Carlo

i don't believe they are showing in the states. at least not in my area.
perhaps for those with direct-TV or other satellite or something.

Would be very interested to watch this.
Evidently it had some pretty good coverage on the major sports-cable network in Europe.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A guy limps in MP, next guy also limps with aces, a couple more see the flop including Fossilman, in the BB I think. Good flop for aces (T-high, 2 clubs), guy only bets T300 or something, a couple callers. Fossilman hit a pair of 10's with T3 or T4 of spades. Turn is another spade, and I believe aces guy makes the same small bet, Raymer and another call. River is another spade, Raymer ends up pushing (T5k?, I forget what he had exactly), everyone folds. Greg mentioned in his postmordem interview that he felt like the players thought he was bluffing all the time from seeing him at the WSOP, so I suppose he was trying to make this overbet look like a steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

this hand was so ugly - aces played it terribly, and greg sucked out.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:57 PM

if you can tape these (every episode) and mail them to me, I would pay you. PM me if interested.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:06 PM

I was in Episode 1 at the table with Martin DeKnijff, Devilfish, Julian Gardener, and Antony LeLouche, pretty sure 3 or 4 of my hands would have made the episode, particularly a nice one vs. Devilfish with 88.

The episodes are available with English commentary at www.thepiratebay.org Search for ept.

The field was pretty weak in this tournament. I only managed to bust one player the whole tournament, and it was after only 42 minutes: He was alread down to only T3500 after a few horrible hands against Devilfish, and I got AA utg+1. The blinds are still 25/50 and I'd decided to try to limp/reraise AA in the first two positions this early in the tournament. Most of the players behind me limp and then the weak player raised to 200 on the button. The BB calls and I make it T1K. The weak player calls as well as the BB. The flop is Kxx, I bet 2500 and the weak player calls for his whole stack - he has KQ.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:53 PM

The kid, Chris Easton, from Ontario played absolutely horrible.

Most comical was when he DIDN'T reraise with AA in EP, eventually letting 8-9 players see the flop. Greg Raymer made a flush by the river to collect the pot.