Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Top Conferences Top-to-Bottom Using Sagarin Predictor

I think its hard for MSU to be clearly better than Northwestern when they lost to the Wildcats by 5 touchdowns in East Lansing.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:00 AM

That was a total fluke. Are the Bobcats better than the Pacers? After all, they beat them by 32!

Of course, despite this, the Pacers are still better, and a few days after they got blasted, they beat the Bobcats, and I'm sure they were favored in the game. Because the rest of the available evidence suggests they're a better team, we can regard that game as an aberration. We should assume that {all the games} are a better measure than {one game}. You have to look at the whole season.

Since we're talking about MSU, is Michigan State better than Notre Dame?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:14 AM

Try looking at the common opponents:

NW and MSU had 5 common opponents:

NW went 2-3 and MSU went 1-4 and got housed by NW at home.

Iowa and MSU have 7 common opponents:

Iowa went 4-3 while MSU was 2-5

Wisconsin and MSU have 7 common opponents:

Wisconsin went 5-2 while MSU was 2-5
Old 11-23-2005, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you figure maybe the Big 10 dominated its non-conference games huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

But the Big Ten atleast played some games against more respected opponents. look at the SEC, who have any of them played? LSU barely beat ASU, and Tenn got blown out by ND. What other games have there been?

[/ QUOTE ]

that game was at ASU where they handed USC a victory, Tenn got beat by ND which isnt saying much at all. In fact if you watched the game the score didn't really indicate the closeness of the game. Tenn's defense only actually allowed 24 of ND points while a blown punt coverage and defensive turnovers were the rest, and NDs defense allowed 21 points from a completely confused offense that barely managed to squeek that many points against their previous three opponents in the sec. I beleive if you put the following sec schools int the big ten the results would be as follow. 1. Penn st. 2. auburn( yes their better then LSU)3.Georgia 4.Ohio st 5.LSU 6. Michigan I know that's just me being partially biased, and I know most of you are from the north and you are biased as well the best thing I can say is just let the bowl games do the talking
Old 11-24-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you figure maybe the Big 10 dominated its non-conference games huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

But the Big Ten atleast played some games against more respected opponents. look at the SEC, who have any of them played? LSU barely beat ASU, and Tenn got blown out by ND. What other games have there been?

[/ QUOTE ]

that game was at ASU where they handed USC a victory, Tenn got beat by ND which isnt saying much at all. In fact if you watched the game the score didn't really indicate the closeness of the game. Tenn's defense only actually allowed 24 of ND points while a blown punt coverage and defensive turnovers were the rest, and NDs defense allowed 21 points from a completely confused offense that barely managed to squeek that many points against their previous three opponents in the sec. I beleive if you put the following sec schools int the big ten the results would be as follow. 1. Penn st. 2. auburn( yes their better then LSU)3.Georgia 4.Ohio st 5.LSU 6. Michigan I know that's just me being partially biased, and I know most of you are from the north and you are biased as well the best thing I can say is just let the bowl games do the talking

[/ QUOTE ]

good to see that SEC schools focus on Acedemics and not football.